Bitwise comparison in RowFilters

Mark Rae

Hi,

This isn't *specifically* an ASP.NET question, so I've also posted it in the
ADO.NET group - however, it's not too far off-topic...

Imagine a SQL Server 2005 database with a table with an int column used for
bitwise data - you know the sort of thing... 0, 1, 2, 4, 8, 16 etc

intBitwise strName
----------------------
512 Mark
512 Juan
514 Ken
512 Peter
512 Marina

In T-SQL, the following query:

SELECT * FROM tblBitwise WHERE intBitwise & 2 = 2

returns, of course, only the third record from the table.

However, in C#, the following doesn't work:

<DataSet>.Tables[0].DefaultView.RowFilter = "intBitwise & 2 = 2";

The error message is: "The expression contains unsupported operator '&'.

Fair enough - there are loads of other ways to achieve the desired result.
However, I am now curious about RowFilter expressions and bitwise
operators...

A quick trawl through Google returns sites which say that bitwise operators
aren't supported in RowFilter expressions:
https://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=262068&SiteID=1

And others which imply that they are:
http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:...ew+RowFilter+bitwise&hl=en&gl=uk&ct=clnk&cd=2

So, can anyone please confirm whether bitwise operators are or are not
supported in RowFilter expressions...?

Any assistance gratefully received.

Mark

Alvin Bruney [MVP]

Row filter accepts sql like expressions however these don't support the full
power of sql syntax. Row filter bitwise comparison is not supported which is
why you are getting the error.

Row State filters on the other hand support bitwise comparisons because that
type of syntax allows the row state to be more powerful.

rowfilters and rowstatefilters aren't the same thing and don't refer to the
same internal structure.
--
________________________
Warm regards,

[Shameless Author plug]
Professional VSTO.NET - Wrox/Wiley
The O.W.C. Black Book with .NET
www.lulu.com/owc, Amazon
Blog: http://www.msmvps.com/blogs/alvin

Mark Rae

Row filter accepts sql like expressions however these don't support the
full power of sql syntax. Row filter bitwise comparison is not supported
which is why you are getting the error.

That's what I thought...
Row State filters on the other hand support bitwise comparisons because
that type of syntax allows the row state to be more powerful.
OK.

rowfilters and rowstatefilters aren't the same thing and don't refer to
the same internal structure.

Of course.