BLANK PAGE when i try Filtering Adsense with abpy

em rexhepi

I know is my fault i'm no good programmer, I'm a begginer that's why i need your help.

I have a python 3.3 project to be finished. I did what i could there is not much help on google about this topic.

The project is to load a webpage from any website and filter the ads.
I'm using ABPY library to filter, here is the link:
https://github.com/atereshkin/abpy <- needs to be converted in python 3.x it is on 2.x
easylist.txt link: https://easylist-downloads.adblockplus.org/easylist.txt

When I use my code it just displays nothing

My code:
#!/usr/local/bin/python3.1

import cgitb;cgitb.enable()

import urllib.request
response = urllib.request.build_opener()
response.addheaders = [('User-agent', 'Mozilla/5.0')]
response = urllib.request.urlopen("www.youtube.com";)

html = response.read()

from abpy import Filter
with open("easylist.txt") as f:
f = Filter(file('easylist.txt'))
f.match(html)

print("Content-type: text/html")
print()
print (html)

Chris Angelico

I have a python 3.3 project to be finished. ...

My code:
#!/usr/local/bin/python3.1

Your shebang says 3.1, are you sure that's correct? Maybe it's not
finding the right interpreter.

If this is running as CGI, which it seems to be, check your server
error logs. It's quite possible you're getting back a blank page
because something's bombing, in which case - if you're lucky -
there'll be a full exception traceback in the log.

ChrisA

Michael Torrie

When I use my code it just displays nothing

My code:
#!/usr/local/bin/python3.1

import cgitb;cgitb.enable()

import urllib.request
response = urllib.request.build_opener()
response.addheaders = [('User-agent', 'Mozilla/5.0')]
response = urllib.request.urlopen("www.youtube.com";)

html = response.read()

from abpy import Filter
with open("easylist.txt") as f:
f = Filter(file('easylist.txt'))
f.match(html)

What happens when you comment out the above four lines? Does the web
page print without the filtering? Just as a sanity check. My hunch is
that html has no data in it.

Also what is "f.match(html)" supposed to return? Is it supposed to
mutate html (seems unlikely) or does it return something? Looking at the
source code, match() does not return anything, but prints to stdout,
which is weird, but at least that tells us that it doesn't actually
change the html object.
print("Content-type: text/html")
print()
print (html)

I'm not sure you're doing this right. adpy seems a bit goofy, but since
f.match() does not appear to change html at all, you should get the same
html out that urllib grabbed. So if you're not getting any output, that
means you're not getting the original html somehow. Also if f.match()
is doing its thing, I don't think you want to print out html after the
command, because f.match itself is printing to stdout itself.

Have you looked over the adpy source code? I haven't bothered to run
it, but a glance through the code would seem to indicate that it doesn't
actually do the filtering at all, but rather just prints out the rules
that the html code you provide would match. I bet you could modify it
to do filtering though. Maybe add a method that uses rule.sub to
replace the bad text with an empty string.

Mark Lawrence

[...]

Whats the above meant to be doing? You've opened easylist.txt as f and
then reassigned f, passing easylist.txt to file which doesn't exist in
Python 3.

MRAB

[...]

The urlopen call also contains a stray semicolon.

Terry Reedy

I know is my fault i'm no good programmer, I'm a begginer that's why i need your help.

I have a python 3.3 project to be finished. I did what i could there is not much help on google about this topic.

The project is to load a webpage from any website and filter the ads.
I'm using ABPY library to filter, here is the link:
https://github.com/atereshkin/abpy <- needs to be converted in python 3.x it is on 2.x
easylist.txt link: https://easylist-downloads.adblockplus.org/easylist.txt

When I use my code it just displays nothing

My code:
#!/usr/local/bin/python3.1

Please update your Python 3 if you are not in a straightjacket
preventing you from doing so.
import cgitb;cgitb.enable()

I suggest commenting this out and running normally in a console or Idle
so you are guaranteed to see output, including error tracebacks. Only
use cgi when this runs successfully in normal mode.
import urllib.request
response = urllib.request.build_opener()
response.addheaders = [('User-agent', 'Mozilla/5.0')]
response = urllib.request.urlopen("www.youtube.com";)

The ; is a SyntaxError and Python exits. See above.