Blank rows resulting from simple csv script

Discussion in 'Python' started by Drew, Apr 24, 2007.

  1. Drew

    Drew Guest

    Hi all -

    I've written a simple script to read a .csv file and then write out
    rows to a new file only if the value in the 4th column is a 0. Here's
    the code:

    import csv

    reader = csv.reader(open('table_export.csv','rb'))

    writer = csv.writer(open('new_jazz.csv','w'))

    for row in reader:
    if row[3] == '0':
    writer.writerow(row)

    This is writing out the correct rows, however it is writing a blank
    row between each of the rows written out. Any ideas?

    Thanks,
    Drew

    Drew, Apr 24, 2007

  2. The modes aren't compatible - either use rb, wb or r,w

    Diez

    Diez B. Roggisch, Apr 24, 2007

  3. Drew

    John Machin Guest

    Bzzzzt! *ALWAYS* use binary mode for both reading and writing.

    John Machin, Apr 25, 2007