Book

Victor Bazarov

Darshan said:
Which book can you recommend to master C++ at an intermediate level?

There is no way "to master C++" by reading books. To master any
language beyond very basics you need to actively use that language, and
have the results of your use constantly tested and reviewed, and apply
new knowledge to your further language use. IOW, you need interaction
with other language users. A book does not provide interaction. It
doesn't give you feedback on your activities.

pauldepstein

There is no way "to master C++" by reading books.  To master any
language beyond very basics you need to actively use that language, and
have the results of your use constantly tested and reviewed, and apply
new knowledge to your further language use.  IOW, you need interaction
with other language users.  A book does not provide interaction.  It
doesn't give you feedback on your activities.

Thanks, Victor.

I'm actually looking for an e-book for several reasons.
1) I'd like it free for obvious reasons.
2) I'd like to be able to read it immediately.
3) I don't want it to take up physical space.

With that in mind, what do you think of Thinking in C++ by Bruce
Eckel? It's not on the FAQ, I noticed.

Paul Epstein

Victor Bazarov

[..]
I'm actually looking for an e-book for several reasons.
1) I'd like it free for obvious reasons.
2) I'd like to be able to read it immediately.
3) I don't want it to take up physical space.

With that in mind, what do you think of Thinking in C++ by Bruce
Eckel? It's not on the FAQ, I noticed.

I read good things about that book. It's not an advanced book though.
From what I understood, it's a decent book to start with.

Old Russian saying: Parsimonious pays twice.

James Kanze

Exceptional C++ (and its sequel) by Herb Sutter is a good
book for an 'intermediate master'. See
also:http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/how-to-learn-cpp.html#faq-28..4
for more recommendations.
[/QUOTE]
I am confused between Exceptional C++ by Herb Sutter and
Effective C++ by Scott Meyers. Which one should I go for?
What is the difference in this two series of books? Can
anyone suggest?

_Effective C++_ is a must, although I would consider it more a
beginner level, rather than itermediate---you must master it (or
the concepts in it) before you can write correct C++. Herb
Sutter's books are mainly based on his Guru of the Week postings
from comp.lang.c++.moderated; the level and importance of the
various points is very varied: some are truely Guru level, and
not really necessary for most C++ programmers; others are almost
beginner level, and absolutely essential in order to write
correct code; and a few are more games or trick questions than
anything else---fun, perhaps, but of no practical importance.