  1. Does anybody use Boost code, what is it.

    I mean, it has to make things easier, but it does not looks like, since it
    takes hours to compile.

    Nick Baumbach, Jan 17, 2014

  2. Nick Baumbach

    Öö Tiib Guest

    Boost is collection of about hundred of quite fine open source C++
    libraries. Majority of C++ developers have at least tried some of
    those.
    Most of boost libraries are header only; you just #include files to use
    them in your program. If particular boost library makes things easier or
    not depends on if your program needs to do what it does or not.

    There are only about dozen of boost libraries that have compiled binary
    parts and handful that have optional compiled binary parts. If you don't
    even know what boost is and if you need those libraries for anything
    then what is the point of compiling them? Also I'm pretty sure that you
    can find built binaries from net like with any other open source.

    Öö Tiib, Jan 17, 2014

  3. You can use the header-only sub-libraries without building Boost.

    However, the most useful of them are now part of the standard, e.g.
    shared_ptr.

    Cheers & hth.,

    - Alf

    Alf P. Steinbach, Jan 17, 2014
  4. Plenty of people use Boost code. It does make things easier. If you
    don't like it, don't use it. There is very little value in complaining
    about something for which you don't have any use, or on which you don't
    have any intention to spend any of your precious time.

    Here is an analogy: it takes significant time to earn money to buy a car
    and to learn to drive one. But once you buy it and start using it, you
    often find that it does make your life easier. It's called "investment".

    If you think that a few hours of compilation is not worth the return
    that you might get from using Boost after you have prepared it for your
    use, then don't spend those few hours. Life's too short.

    Victor Bazarov, Jan 17, 2014
  5. How do I know whether I need it.

    Nick Baumbach, Jan 17, 2014
  6. Can't you read, how do one knows that Boosts code is needed. What can
    Boost do, I can'd do simpler and ergo, faster.

    More code added increase complexity, unnecessary.

    Nick Baumbach, Jan 17, 2014
  7. I think the guiding principle here is "if you need to ask, you probably
    have no use for it. Yet."

    Here is the metaphor I think is applicable here. Can you dig a ditch
    using your spade? Would an excavator help? Not really, if a ditch is
    but a few feet long and a foot deep and the soil is loose and light.
    You would only use an excavator if the amount of work warrants it. Of
    course, if you already have an excavator on site, using it to move even
    a bit of earth costs you almost nothing and can save some time, compared
    to digging with a spade, even a mere few cubic feet of dirt.

    Read about Boost, learn about the problems people solved using it. Some
    here might tell you about it, but using Boost's online forum is probably
    more effective. If you find that you can solve some problem with it,
    then get it, invest some time learning it. Or don't.

    Victor Bazarov, Jan 17, 2014
  8. And now please answer the question. Only if you can, I did not asked for
    noise.

    Nick Baumbach, Jan 17, 2014
  9. Your original post did not contain any questions. It only contained a
    childish whine about the perceived difficulty of compiling Boost. Learn
    to ask questions. Visit this page:

    As Drew Lawson write here

    consider telling us what it is you do, what problems you're trying to
    solve, _before_ anyone could tell you to use some specific part of Boost
    or to skip it altogether.

    And now please ask your questions. Or don't.

    Victor Bazarov, Jan 17, 2014
  10. Nick Baumbach

    Jorgen Grahn Guest

    I suspect that Stroustrup sums it up nicely:

    http://www.stroustrup.com/bs_faq.html#boost

    /Jorgen

    Jorgen Grahn, Jan 17, 2014
  11. Nick Baumbach

    woodbrian77 Guest

    I use the Boost Intrusive library.
    I think parts of Boost, like the containers, are great.
    Other parts of Boost are not so great.

    Brian
    Ebenezer Enterprises - Heavenly code.
    http://webEbenezer.net

    woodbrian77, Jan 17, 2014
  12. Nick Baumbach

    woodbrian77 Guest

    I think std::array would be a better example. I still
    don't find much need for shared_ptr.

    Brian
    Ebenezer Enterprises
    http://webEbenezer.net

    woodbrian77, Jan 17, 2014
  13. Nick Baumbach

    Ian Collins Guest

    Maybe you don't but others certainly do!

    Ian Collins, Jan 18, 2014
  14. Nick Baumbach

    Ian Collins Guest

    On a more up to date machine with gcc:

    time ./b2 -j 32

    <stuff>

    The Boost C++ Libraries were successfully built!

    real 1m2.319s
    user 27m57.961s
    sys 1m49.214s

    Ian Collins, Jan 18, 2014
  15. Nick Baumbach

    woodbrian77 Guest

    I think Mr. Stroustrup's comments on shared_ptr
    are helpful.

    At the 46 minutes and 43 second mark here:

    http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Goi...eractive-Panel-The-Importance-of-Being-Native

    He says he wouldn't list shared_ptr in his top ten
    C++ 2011 features. I agree.

    I think it's a good idea to review/minimize your use
    of unique_ptr and to be even more wary of shared_ptr.

    Brian
    Ebenezer Enteprises - So far G-d has helped us.
    http://webEbenezer.net

    woodbrian77, Jan 18, 2014
  16. Robert Wessel oratorically vehemently insists

    Sir, you do not contribute! YOU seemingly are the troll here.

    Or, alternatively, are fucking stupid. In any case, stop infesting this
    thread with nonsense and leave!

    Nick Baumbach, Jan 18, 2014
  17. Ian Collins oratorically vehemently insists
    Wow, -j 32 !! Say no more. Where did you find that 32 since at most I only
    can find 16, as 2 threads per core. Actually thread core, not real core.
    An i7 is still a 4 core, not sure how that threaded core is embedded into
    the hardware.

    Please elaborate

    Nick Baumbach, Jan 18, 2014
  18. Victor Bazarov wrote
    Sir, you are violating the unwritten rules of usenet, insisting making
    noise instead of relating to the issue in the post.

    You are insignificant. Read the fucking subject line. Better yet, just
    leave.

    Nick Baumbach, Jan 18, 2014
  19. Nick Baumbach

    Ian Collins Guest

    Dual 8 core Xeon E5 and plenty of RAM.

    Ian Collins, Jan 18, 2014
  20. You agree with him that it takes hours then still call him "performance
    artist".

    What sort of performance artist are you?

    Herman Viracocha, Jan 20, 2014