Born Again C.S. Guy Intro/Career Questions

Joined
May 2, 2023
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Hello all. A bit of a meaty introduction:
Computers and electronics have always been in the "back drop" as I grew up. I was however, distracted then. Now, in my 40's I've been given an opportunity to truly discover them.
I love computers science, all of it. From how a CPU works too programming, you name it. So much so that I want to make a career change.
However am 42 and being very cautious.
I want to be a programmer and had some questions. If all I could settle for is an IT job somewhere, I'd take it. But I am intelligent enough to do more.
1. Boot camp or degree?
2. I'm assuming I need to focus more on Javascript and Python rather than C and C++, correct?
3. Is there a niche for programmers on Robitics or is that a completely isolated field.
I have a very strong self interest and spend all my free time learning. I also have a GI Bill from my electronics job in the Navy to offer funding for any endeavor.
I'll take any wisdom given.
Thank you.

Joined
Mar 31, 2023
Messages
95
Reaction score
8
Hello and welcome! It's great to hear that you have a strong interest in computer science and are considering a career change. Here are some answers to your questions:

  1. Boot camp or degree? Both options have their pros and cons. A boot camp can provide intensive training in a shorter amount of time, while a degree program provides a more comprehensive education and can open up more job opportunities. It ultimately depends on your personal preferences and career goals. Some employers may require a degree, while others may prioritize hands-on experience and skills.
  2. I'm assuming I need to focus more on Javascript and Python rather than C and C++, correct? It depends on the type of programming you want to do. JavaScript and Python are popular languages for web development and data science, respectively. C and C++ are often used in systems programming and software development. You may want to research different programming fields and industries to determine which languages are most in demand and relevant to your interests.
  3. Is there a niche for programmers on Robotics or is that a completely isolated field? Robotics is a growing field with many opportunities for programmers. As technology advances, robots are becoming increasingly common in manufacturing, healthcare, and other industries. There is a need for programmers who can write code to control and operate robots, as well as develop algorithms for artificial intelligence and machine learning. However, it may require additional education or training in robotics-specific programming languages and concepts.
It's great that you have a strong self-interest and are willing to invest time and effort into learning. Keep up the good work! Additionally, your GI Bill can offer funding for your education, so make sure to research programs and resources that may be available to you. Best of luck in your career change!

Joined
May 2, 2023
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Thank you for your reply. I've attempted to write back and may have failed the first time so I apologize if you get this twice.
I have two more questions.
1. If I go the boot camp, being that I'm so new, do you report I take a beginner course or participate in course primers from the camps? I'm intelligent but heard the camps move fast with their content and people don't learn, rather just cope to pass.
2. Lastly and most importantly. I'm 42, is that too old for a software engineer job or really, any computer science job? Especially if I go to a 4 year school and end up being 45 or 46?
Thank you for all your help.

Joined
Mar 31, 2023
Messages
95
Reaction score
8
No problem at all, happy to help! Here are my answers to your additional questions:

  1. If you decide to attend a boot camp, I would recommend starting with a beginner course or primer, especially since you mentioned that you are new to computer science. It's important to have a strong foundation before moving on to more advanced topics. While boot camps do move quickly, many of them offer beginner-level courses or prep work to help students get up to speed before starting the program. Make sure to research different boot camps and their offerings to find one that fits your needs.
  2. It is absolutely not too late to pursue a career in software engineering or computer science at 42, or even at 45 or 46. In fact, many people make career changes or start new careers later in life. Age should not be a barrier to learning and pursuing what you are passionate about. That being said, it's important to keep in mind that the job market can be competitive and some employers may prioritize candidates with more experience or specific skills. However, with dedication and hard work, you can gain the necessary skills and experience to succeed in this field.
I hope this helps and best of luck on your journey!