Browser news

Roedy Green

There are new versions of Firefox, Seamonkey and Opera out.

see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/utilities.html

the new version of Opera now supports Java again.

The CBC says experts are telling people to avoid IE altogether. There
are some very serious security holes MS is working on.

Sounds like more JavaScript holes. I wish that fool language would
dig a hole and crawl into it.
--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
http://mindprod.com

Andrew Thompson

Sounds like more JavaScript holes.  I wish that fool language would
dig a hole and crawl into it.

I wish you'd get over your irrational hatred
of a language that is handy for ensuring a
suitable JRE is present, or for configuring
Java applets, or for writing an applet element
that fills the entire browser window, or for
AJAX..

It is hardly the fault of JS that IE is a
security black-hole.

softwarepearls_com

There are new versions of Firefox, Seamonkey and Opera out.

seehttp://mindprod.com/jgloss/utilities.html

the new version of Opera now supports Java again.

The CBC says experts are telling people to avoid IE altogether. There
are some very serious security holes MS is working on.

Sounds like more JavaScript holes.  I wish that fool language would
dig a hole and crawl into it.
--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Productshttp://mindprod.com
PM Steven Harper is fixated on the costs of implementing Kyoto, estimated as high as 1% of GDP.
However, he refuses to consider the costs of not implementing Kyoto which the
famous economist Nicholas Stern estimated at 5 to 20% of GDP

JavaScript appears to ride the unstoppable wave of Internet
developments.. eg ActionScript 3, the Adobe language behind Flex/
Flash, is based on JavaScript too. I'm also not a fan of JS.. but if
it's here to stay.. :-(

PS. AS3 experts can correct any errors in the above, I'm not an Adobe
products expert

Joshua Cranmer

Roedy said:
The CBC says experts are telling people to avoid IE altogether. There
are some very serious security holes MS is working on.

Sounds like more JavaScript holes. I wish that fool language would
dig a hole and crawl into it.

Most of IE's security holes can be traced to ActiveX, not JS, as I recall.

To be fair, as much as I dislike JavaScript, there's no real easy way
around it. Can you name any other lightweight client-side scripting
language that has fewer points of access to secure than JavaScript?

In any case, most of security holes in JavaScript are more likely
security holes in the DOM frameworks--i.e., switching languages wouldn't
automatically close any open holes.

Arne Vajhøj

Roedy said:
There are new versions of Firefox, Seamonkey and Opera out.

see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/utilities.html

the new version of Opera now supports Java again.

The CBC says experts are telling people to avoid IE altogether. There
are some very serious security holes MS is working on.

Sounds like more JavaScript holes. I wish that fool language would
dig a hole and crawl into it.

1) Not particular relevant for cljp.

2) The fixes were released today. See:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms08-078.mspx

3) As usual the vulnerability description is rather vague, but it
seems to not be related to JavaScript - it seems to be related
to XML islands and OLE DB.

Arne