Building Python with Tcl/Tk on Cygwin_NT-5.1

Dean N. Williams

Dear Python Community,

I am trying to build Python with Tcl/Tk under the Cygwin_NT-5.1 OS.
Has anyone done this? Do I need to build tcl8.4.9 and tk8.4.9 under the
unix directory or the win directory. I found that the Tcl/Tk unix
directories compiled just fine and built the libtcl8.4.a and libtk8.4.a
libraries for use. But I don't think that Python is looking for this. If
you've built Python with Tcl/Tck, is it possible for you to send me
instructions on how you did it? Thanks in advance...

Best regards,
Dean

Kartic

Dean,

It has been quite sometime since I did that. I had installed Tcl/TK in
a non-standard location on my Freebsd box.

So, for Python to compile _tkinter, in the configure script I passed
the location of the Tcl/Tk includes and libs. So, you will have to find
out where in the Cygwin tree the tcl includes and libraries are
installed.

On my Freebsd box, I did:
CFLAGS="-I/usr/local/tcl/include" \ # that is a - capital i
LDFLAGS="-L/usr/local/tcl/lib" \
../configure \
..... rest of configure options.

(put this in something like do-conf) and at the prompt type sh do-conf.

OR

you can use the --with-libs='lib1 ...' option for the configure
script. You will to give the path to your TCL libraries against this
option.

Do a configure --help to see the available configure options with some
help strings.

But like Jason mentioned, why don't you use the stock Python install
that comes with Cygwin; it is tkinter enabled and works just fine?
(unless you have a compelling reason to install from source)
Thanks,
--Kartic