Button Control

JMehta

Hi,
I am relatively new at .net applications and am having trouble doing the
following. I have tried to read the help and discussion groups but cannot
seem to be able to do what is required.

I have a Master Page and a content page. On the content page I have:
1) a gridview (GridView1) with 4 fields
Name
Date
AreaCode
PhoneNumber
2) Button1 (Upload)
3) Button2 (Save)
4) Button3 (Select)

I also have an excel spreadsheet with 4 columns (same as the gridview columns)

When the user clicks Button1 (Upload), I would like to have the contents of
the excel spreadsheet show on the GridView1.

When the user clicks on Button2 (Save), I would like to add the data from
the gridview to an SQL database table (NameInfo), I would like the gridview
to be blank after the save and a message saying "data added". If the number
of records added can be displayed in the message that would be great.

When the user clicks on Button3 (Select), I would like to show all the
records from the SQL database table (NameInfo).

Any help would be much appreciated.

Nathan Sokalski

What exactly is it that you are unable to do? You never mentioned a specific
problem in your posting. But I think my first question is what code are you
using to get the data from/save the data to the Excel file? Also, is your
problem really with one of the Button controls, or is the problem with
something else? You need to give more details and specifics about what you
really need help with.

JMehta

I would like to know how to:
1) import an excel spreadsheet to a gridview based on a button click;
2) how do I initiate saving data from a gridview to a database based on a
button click;
3) how do I initiate a select to the gridview from a database initiated by a
button click.

--
Thanks for your help.

J Mehta

Nathan Sokalski said:
What exactly is it that you are unable to do? You never mentioned a specific
problem in your posting. But I think my first question is what code are you
using to get the data from/save the data to the Excel file? Also, is your
problem really with one of the Button controls, or is the problem with
something else? You need to give more details and specifics about what you
really need help with.

Nathan Sokalski

When you say "based on a button click" and "initiated by a button click", do
you mean triggered by the Button.Click event? As for importing an excel
spreadsheet, you will either need to find some free (or not free) .NET class
that takes the data from an excel file and stores it in a .NET Collection or
Array of some type. Since Excel files are not simple text files that you can
simply read the way you might read an xml or csv file, the first step there
is finding a way to make the data available to your application. Saving the
data from the gridview to a database should be pretty simple and basic if
you have ever worked with databases and GridViews in ASP.NET, you will need
to be more specific about where your problem is for that. Initiating a
Select statement to display new data in the GridView should be nothing more
than a simple PostBack. Once again, you will need to be more specific about
where your problem is. Please provide us with more details on where your
problems are, and it may also help to show us what you currently have and
what, if any, errors you are recieving. Good Luck!
--
Nathan Sokalski
(e-mail address removed)

JMehta said:
I would like to know how to:
1) import an excel spreadsheet to a gridview based on a button click;
2) how do I initiate saving data from a gridview to a database based on a
button click;
3) how do I initiate a select to the gridview from a database initiated by
button click.

Nathan Sokalski

In the Button.Click event handler, read in the data from a *.csv file using
a StreamReader. You will need to parse the data and store it in a variable
of a type that you can use as a datasource for your GridView.