Wizard Control

Morris Neuman

Hi,

I have a page with a wizard control. Note, this page does have a masterpage.

The wizard control has 5 steps; all steps have AllowReturn set to true.

Step 1 allows the user to browse, select and upload a spreadsheet. This
step also has a radiobuttonlist with values set to Fixed or Custom. In the
NextButtonClick script, if the value of the radiobuttonlist is fixed then the
wizard proceeds to step 2 otherwise to step 3 (Wizard1.ActiveStepIndex = 2)

Step2 has a formview with several textboxes . On the Formview, I have a
PreRender event set-up where I set-up default values to be displayed for
these textboxes. The user can update the values in these textboxes as
required then click next to go to Step 3.

Step 3 provides 2 buttons allowing the user additional capabilities. If
during this step the user selects the Previous button to go to step 2, I want
the textbox fields to display the values changed by the user not the default
values. How do I do this?

I tried the following but am having a problem.

I set-up 2 textbox fields on the page outside the wizard to contain the
value of the previous and next step index (textbox 3 is for the previous step
and textbox 4 is for the next step index as follows:
protected void OnActiveStepChanged_SaveCurrPrevIndex(object sender,
EventArgs e)
{
if (IsPostBack)
//NOT first time
{
TextBox3.Text = TextBox4.Text;
TextBox4.Text = Wizard1.ActiveStepIndex.ToString();

In the formview prerender script I try to check the value of these text
boxes. If the previous step is greater than the current step then I don't
want to display the default values.
protected void FV1_PreRender(object sender, EventArgs e)
{
TextBox tb3 = this.FindControl("TextBox3") as TextBox;
TextBox tb4 = this.FindControl("TextBox4") as TextBox;

int inttb3 = Convert.ToInt32(this.FindControl("TextBox3.Text"));
int inttb4 = Convert.ToInt32(this.FindControl("TextBox4.Text"));

if (inttb3 >= inttb4)
{
FormView FV1 = (FormView)sender;

TextBox tb1 = FV1.FindControl("TextBox1") as TextBox;
tb1.Text = "0";

TextBox tb2 = FV1.FindControl("TextBox2") as TextBox;
tb2.Text = "0123";

In the code above, I cannot get the values set-in textbox3 and textbox4.

I would like to know how to:
1) Show the default values only the first time the formview is displayed and
then show the values as they are if changed by the user;
2) How to access the textbox3 and textbox4 values in this prerender section.

Thanks as always for your help.

Allen Chen [MSFT]

Hi Morris,
Step 3 provides 2 buttons allowing the user additional capabilities. If
during this step the user selects the Previous button to go to step 2, I want
the textbox fields to display the values changed by the user not the default
values. How do I do this?

If my understanding is correct, the following code can demonstrate your
scenario. For the simplicity I use TextBox to replace the FormView in your
case.

aspx:

<asp:Wizard ID="Wizard1" runat="server" ActiveStepIndex="0">
<WizardSteps>
<asp:WizardStep ID="WizardStep1" runat="server" Title="Step
1">
</asp:WizardStep>
<asp:WizardStep ID="WizardStep2" runat="server" Title="Step
2">
<asp:TextBox ID="TextBox1" runat="server"
OnPreRender="TextBox1_PreRender"></asp:TextBox>
</asp:WizardStep>
<asp:WizardStep ID="WizardStep3" runat="server"
Title="Step 3">
</asp:WizardStep>
</WizardSteps>
</asp:Wizard>

aspx.cs:

protected void TextBox1_PreRender(object sender, EventArgs e)
{

TextBox t = (TextBox)sender;
t.Text = "Default Value";

}

The problem is, if you go to step 2, change the value in the TextBox and
then go to step 3 and back to step 2. The value you changed is overwritten
because "Default Value" is reset in the PreRender event of TextBox.

The solution is, save a flag in ViewState, which can be preserved during
postbacks. We can use this flag to know if it's the first time to assign
value to TextBox.

The updated code:

protected void TextBox1_PreRender(object sender, EventArgs e)
{
if (ViewState["thefirsttime"] == null)
{
ViewState["thefirsttime"] = false;

TextBox t = (TextBox)sender;
t.Text = "Default Value";

Please test it and let me know if it works. If I misunderstood you please
send me a repro project. I'll test it on my side. My email is
(e-mail address removed). Please update here after sending the project in case
I missed that email.

Regards,
Allen Chen
Microsoft Online Support

(e-mail address removed).

Morris Neuman

Thanks Allen. That worked.

A quick question, is "thefirsttime" a variable or a custom name to .net? I
tried to read-up on ViewState but info was hard to understand. Can you send
me a beginer's tutorial on viewstate?
--
Thanks
Morris

Allen Chen said:
Hi Morris,
[...]

I am wondering if you can check out my other issue in post Wizard Control -
Issue 2 and see if there is something you can recomend.

As always, I appreciate your feedback and help.

Allen Chen [MSFT]

Hi Morris,
I am wondering if you can check out my other issue in post Wizard Control -
Issue 2 and see if there is something you can recomend.?

Thomas Sun is willing to assist on this issue. I've forwarded this thread
to him to let him know more about your scenario. You can follow up in the
original thread.

Thank you for using our Newsgroup Support Service.

Regards,
Allen Chen
Microsoft Online Support

(e-mail address removed).