Button Routines being called twice

mosscliffe

I am sorry but I am all very new and slow at understanding all this
ASP.NET2.

I found some code which showed how to page with a repeater. All very
excited as I had been looking for this all day. It worked wonderfully,
but it was in C# So I converted it to VB with

http://www.developerfusion.co.uk/utilities/convertcsharptovb.aspx

It got upset about private and so I changed those to protected

My problem is the NEXT Button subroutine gets called twice, but the
PREV one only got called once.

After lots of hair pulling, I eventually worked out that it was because
the PREV button did not have the Handles cmdPrev.Click. I added that
to the PREV Button and now that executes twice. I do not fully
understand this Handles reference, but it is always there if I set up a
default event for a Button.

I don't think it is a postback problem, because the page is only

OK so why is / are the Button routines being executed twice.

The code is as follows.

Imports System.data
Partial Class timrepeat
Inherits System.Web.UI.Page

Public Property CurrentPage() As Integer
Get
Dim cpg As Object = Me.ViewState("_CurrentPage")
If cpg Is Nothing Then
Return 0
Else
Return CType(cpg, Integer)
End If
End Get
Set(ByVal value As Integer)
Me.ViewState("_CurrentPage") = value
End Set
End Property

Private Sub Page_Load(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As
System.EventArgs) Handles Me.Load
'ItemsGet()
lbxDebug.Items.Insert(0, "PageLoad:
--->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>--- Curr Page:" & CurrentPage.ToString)

End Sub

Private Sub ItemsGet()
Dim Items As DataSet = New DataSet
Items.ReadXml(MapPath("Items.xml"))
Dim objPds As PagedDataSource = New PagedDataSource
objPds.DataSource = Items.Tables(0).DefaultView
objPds.AllowPaging = True
objPds.PageSize = 1
objPds.CurrentPageIndex = CurrentPage
lblCurrentPage.Text = "Page: " + (CurrentPage + 1).ToString + "
of " + objPds.PageCount.ToString
cmdPrev.Enabled = Not objPds.IsFirstPage
cmdNext.Enabled = Not objPds.IsLastPage
repeaterItems.DataSource = objPds
repeaterItems.DataBind()
End Sub

Protected Sub cmdNext_Click(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As
System.EventArgs) Handles cmdNext.Click
lbxDebug.Items.Insert(0, "NEXTBEFORE:CurrentPage= " &
CurrentPage.ToString)
CurrentPage += 1
lbxDebug.Items.Insert(0, "NEXTAFTER:CurrentPage= " &
CurrentPage.ToString)
'ItemsGet()
End Sub

Protected Sub cmdPrev_Click(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As
System.EventArgs) Handles cmdPrev.Click
lbxDebug.Items.Insert(0, "PREVBEFORE:CurrentPage= " &
CurrentPage.ToString)
CurrentPage -= 1
lbxDebug.Items.Insert(0, "PREVAFTER:CurrentPage= " &
CurrentPage.ToString)
'ItemsGet()
End Sub

System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click

End Sub
End Class

The aspx page is

<%@ Page Language="VB" AutoEventWireup="false"
CodeFile="timrepeat.aspx.vb" Inherits="timrepeat" %>

<%--<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" >
<head runat="server">
<title>Untitled Page</title>
</head>
<form id="form1" runat="server">

</form>
--%>
<head>
<title>TestRepeater</title>
</head>
<form id="frmTest" method="post" runat="server">
runat="server"></asp:label></td>
text="PREV" onclick="cmdPrev_Click"></asp:button>
&nbsp;<asp:button id="cmdNext" runat="server" text="NEXT"
onclick="cmdNext_Click"></asp:button></td>
<asp:repeater id="repeaterItems" runat="server">
<itemtemplate>
"ItemName") %></b></td>
"ItemDescription") %></b></td>
"ItemPrice") %></b></td>
"ItemInStock") %></b></td>
</itemtemplate>
</asp:repeater>
&nbsp;
<asp:ListBox ID="lbxDebug" runat="server"
Rows="10"></asp:ListBox>
<asp:Button ID="Button1" runat="server" Text="Button" />
</form>

raghu1

I had a similar problem with .net 1.1 and c#.
Figured out that AutoEventWireup s/be false. I am not sure how this
will be in 2.0 and vb.
Hope this helps.

mosscliffe

I can not see where I could try autoeventwireup. The button does not
seem to have that property.

raghu1

This is on the Page (.aspx) and not button, usually the 1st line
Here is my code snippet:
<%@ Page language="c#" Codebehind="searchResults.aspx.cs"
AutoEventWireup="false" Inherits="searchResults" %>

mosscliffe

It just shows my lack of knowledge and understanding - I already had
that in my original page declaration, see original post.

Thanks for your input, but it looks like back to the drawing board for
a solution.

raghu1

Yes, I missed this.
In my case, I inserted a record into a table on postBack with
date-time stamp, control name just to figure out what is happening.

mosscliffe

There is some underlying events/logic, which I am not understanding, as
I said originally, if I remove the handles element from the Button
Routines they work. Now I can not grasp what the 'Handles
button1.click' do/mean.

If anyone can enlighten me - I would be most grateful.

Guest

"Handles" is VB.NET syntax for "Make this handle the XXX_whatever event"
(Click, etc.)
It does the same thing that AutoEventWireup does at the page level, hence
you could have your events firing twice for the control.
Peter

mosscliffe

Thank you. I will get there - eventually - he says - through clenched
teeth and little conviction !

Ciaran

The handles makes VB make a call to AddHandler which registers the a
delegate for the methods on the click event for the button. This will make
the button click call once.
In the aspx page however, you have the OnClick attributes of the buttons
pointing to the methods, this will also make a call to addhandler so you
will have 2 delegates for the same method on the same event. Therefore it
will run twice.
Remove one or the other, you dont need both,

HTH

Ciaran