C Books and algorithm books

Charlton Wilbur

Someone having only I as a name wrote:

I> before i bought it i checked all comments from people who
I> bought the same book and they all said it's very good . How can
I> a book be well written and still contain a vast number of
I> technical errors ?

The people reviewing were apparently ignorant of C; most people who
are familiar with C have learned to avoid Schildt books, and would not
be buying it, let alone reviewing it positively.

It can be "well written" in the sense that the explanations are clear
and consistent, and "contain a vast number of technical errors" in
that it describes a language that only superficially resembles C.

I> are you like saying this is like not a very good book ?

It's a horrible book. You should buy two more copies and burn all
three of them.

Charlton

Keith Thompson

I said:
before i bought it i checked all comments from people who bought the same
book and they all said it's very good . How can a book be well written and
still contain a vast number of technical errors ? what errors ? is there
some errata listing ? i checked the author's and publisher's web sites and
found nothing .

It's safe to assume that any book by Herbert Schildt is technically
inaccurate. He's apparently a reasonably skilled writer, but he
doesn't know C. See <http://www.lysator.liu.se/c/schildt.html> for a
fairly detailed point-by-point review of another of his books. See
<http://www.seebs.net/c/c_tcr.html> for a list of *some* of the errors
in "C: The Complete Reference". It probably refers to an earlier
edition, and another review I cited elsewhere in this thread implies
that more recent editions are a bit better. But there are plenty of
books written by authors who actually know the subject.
are you like saying this is like not a very good book ?

That's the general idea, yes.

user923005

before i bought it i checked all comments from people who bought the same
book and they all said it's very good . How can a book be well written and
still contain a vast number of technical errors ? what errors ? is there
some errata listing ? i checked the author's and publisher's web sites and
found nothing .

Do not assume that missing Schildt errata means that the books are
without defect. Rather, assume that the author doesn't care about it
and makes no attempts at repairs.
are you like saying this is like not a very good book ?

I guess that you are trolling, but maybe not.
Anyway, this is the only place I know of to get accurate book reviews
on programming topics:
http://www.accu.org/index.php/book_reviews