    of 8 hours.

    RJF
    </quote>

    bolega, Jul 14, 2010

  2. bolega

    bolega Guest

    This makes some sense. He replied on the newsgroup in a lengthy post
    that there are sufficient resources out there giving hint that no one
    need help me out. Then I was called "lazy" in one email and tersely
    given JUST the last name of an author who has many books each many
    100s pages, when I asked for a relevant book, as if i am a scholar in
    the field, although he did spend lots of words on irrelevant and
    unbeneficial things which diminished my enthusiasm. Now, I find out
    from you that he has/had a business concern or interest in a company
    that is writing/wrote lisp interpreter in C. Correct me if I am making
    an error. I dont want to think deprecatingly of any good soul but this
    is what i experienced.

    bolega, Jul 15, 2010

  3. bolega

    bolega Guest

    I have decided to limit my goal to tyni LISP interpreter in C because
    its a smaller and simpler language.

    bolega, Jul 15, 2010
  4. bolega

    Seebs Guest

    If you found those "irrelevant and unbeneficial", then while I agree that he
    may have been wasting his time, he would have been wasting it even worse
    trying to walk you through the technical material when you're clearly
    not currently at a stage where you are ready to learn anyway.
    If you are trying to imply that he was acting in some unethical way, you have
    further cemented the notion that trying to talk to you is a waste of anyone's
    time. *plonk*

    -s

    Seebs, Jul 16, 2010
  5. bolega

    francogrex Guest

    No, you're not making a bad judgement. He's not the only one who
    treats newcomers with disrespect and scorn. Unfortunately many
    so-called experts in the field look down on newbies and mistreat
    them (in any programming language forum), forgetting in the
    process that they were also at a certain time newbies until
    someone gentle and nice enough teachers took the trouble to
    educate them. On the other hand there are less neurotic experts
    out there who are glad to help out someone learning. It's like in
    some universities, you have the bad "professors" who are freaks
    (probably they have a lot of problems at home, their wives
    screwing all the males on the block, daughters drug addicts etc)
    and want to take their hatred out on you, and you have the
    good and mentally stable professors who actually deserve their
    title.

    francogrex, Jul 23, 2010
  6. I don't think it's accurate to say that [some] experts really "scorn"
    newbies, but I do agree that newbies are occasionally mistreated.

    One thing newbies have to realize is that on Usenet you are quite
    likely to be talking to people who were there at the beginning and, of
    necessity, are largely self educated in whatever the subject matter
    might be. Many - I'd even say most - are happy to clarify
    understanding and help with complicated problems, but there is a
    general expectation that newbies have some basic research skills and
    that they have tried to solve their problem before asking for help.

    Unfortunately, there is a small percentage of people who think Usenet
    and other online forums are for answering homework questions or for
    digging out of a jam at work. Getting help depends a lot on how the
    question is asked: strident pleas for quick help or demands for an
    answer are immediate red flags, but so are questions that begin with
    "X is crap, why can't I do ..." and even seemingly polite questions
    that are vague or unfocused (possibly indicating little or no thought
    behind them) or posts which are directed to a large number of groups
    (such as this thread we're in now).

    And, of course, in the language forums, drawing comparisons to
    non-subject languages is generally considered rude except when done to
    illustrate a relevant discussion point. Introducing irrelevant
    comparisons, deliberately proselytizing X in a Y group or doing a lot
    of complaining about the subject language is bound to attract disdain.

    As the Internet has grown, the absolute number of people in that
    "small percentage" has grown as well. A newbie can simply be unlucky
    enough to ask a question at the wrong time. If there has been a
    recent rash of problem posts then experts may accidentally respond
    negatively to a legitimate question.

    Of course, there are cross-cultural issues too. Many of the technical
    groups are English-language. English, even when polite, can seem
    harsh and/or abrupt to non-native speakers.

    On the whole, moderated groups are more conducive to helping newbies
    because the moderator(s) filter obvious red flag posts.

    And, finally, newbies themselves should realize that experts are
    donating time to answer questions and do get frustrated answering the
    same questions over and over. They should not be offended by "cold"
    material. Newbies who need hand-holding or warm welcoming responses
    filled with detail should go find a tutor.

    Unquestionably, there are experts who need their dosages adjusted. But
    the same can be said for some percentage of other users too.

    OTOH, newbies often aren't in the position to know who is an expert
    .... obviously, anyone able to correctly answer their question knows
    more about that specific issue. That doesn't necessarily qualify the
    responder as an "expert". Some people get defensive at the edges of
    their comfort zones.

    Just some thoughts. YMMV.
    George

    George Neuner, Jul 23, 2010
  7. bolega

    francogrex Guest

    Yes I agree, you expressed the thought better than I did. Then let's not go on
    with this thread any further and let the newsgroups carry on programming
    language support and discussions. Thanks

    francogrex, Jul 24, 2010