C++ library for PDF creation?

vasudevram

Hi,

Is there any C++ library (free software or open source) for PDF
creation, other than PDFLib? [ PDFLib is good but it puts a watermark
across the PDF output. ]
Also know about libpdf++ but it looks like it has only a few features,
not enough for my needs.

I'm looking for such a library to use for:

1. Porting my xtopdf PDF creation/conversion toolkit - see
http://www.dancingbison.com/services.html - from Python to C++, for
reasons of a) possibly better performance, b) being able to wrap the
ported code as a Ruby/C++ extension, so that I can then generate PDF
from Ruby. [I do know about Ruby's PDF::Writer, but am exploring
different ways of doing the same thing].

2. Doing PDF generation from C++.

Both the above points are part of my overall plan of extending xtopdf
in different dimensions (more features, ports to more languages, etc.).

Thanks
Vasudev

Victor Bazarov

vasudevram said:
Is there any C++ library (free software or open source) for PDF
creation, other than PDFLib?

Most likely. This newsgroup is not a replacement for online search
engines, BTW.

?

=?ISO-8859-15?Q?Juli=E1n?= Albo

vasudevram said:
Is there any C++ library (free software or open source) for PDF
creation, other than PDFLib? [ PDFLib is good but it puts a watermark
across the PDF output. ]
Also know about libpdf++ but it looks like it has only a few features,
not enough for my needs. (...)
2. Doing PDF generation from C++.

I don't understand this point. If you use another C++ library with all
features that you need to build your pdf generation tool, then your tool
adds nothing to pdf generation from C++.

vasudevram

Victor said:
Most likely. This newsgroup is not a replacement for online search
engines, BTW.

I'm aware of that. Search engines are not perfect, though. Hence the
post here.
If its against the charter of the group, I won't do it again.

vasudevram

Julián Albo said:
vasudevram said:
Is there any C++ library (free software or open source) for PDF
creation, other than PDFLib? [ PDFLib is good but it puts a watermark
across the PDF output. ]
Also know about libpdf++ but it looks like it has only a few features,
not enough for my needs. (...)
2. Doing PDF generation from C++.

I don't understand this point. If you use another C++ library with all
features that you need to build your pdf generation tool, then your tool
adds nothing to pdf generation from C++.

The differences are that my library either provides somewhat higher
abstractions over the library it uses, or is easier to use in some
ways, though for a smaller set of features (e.g. I don't currently
support images, though may in future). E.g. automatic pagination.

That's how it is in the current (Python) library, and that's how I plan
to make it in the planned C++ one.

Vasudev
http://www.dancingbison.com

Jack Klein

Hi,

Is there any C++ library (free software or open source) for PDF
creation, other than PDFLib? [ PDFLib is good but it puts a watermark
across the PDF output. ]

[snip]

Just as off-topic here as in comp.lang.c. This group discusses the
C++ language and its standard library, not add-on third-party
libraries.

GIYF.

Alf P. Steinbach

* Jack Klein:
Hi,

Is there any C++ library (free software or open source) for PDF
creation, other than PDFLib? [ PDFLib is good but it puts a watermark
across the PDF output. ]

[snip]

Just as off-topic here as in comp.lang.c. This group discusses the
C++ language and its standard library, not add-on third-party
libraries.

As a rule we don't discuss how to /use/ the particular details of a
particular library in clc++, because that falls into "not of general
interest" and most often also into "platform specific" (and at one time
the latter was really a problem, causing clc++m to be created).

However, the reason there is a C++ libraries FAQ linked to from this
group's main language FAQ is that it's entirely on-topic to discuss
libraries and language usage in general.

Links to the

Available C++ Libraries FAQ

are available in the language FAQ item "Where can I get tons and tons of
more information on C++ class libraries?", currently at <url:
http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/class-libraries.html#faq-37.9>.

Of course the Libraries FAQ also refers back to the Language FAQ.

?

vasudevram

Alf said:
As a rule we don't discuss how to /use/ the particular details of a
particular library in clc++, because that falls into "not of general
interest" and most often also into "platform specific" (and at one time
the latter was really a problem, causing clc++m to be created).

However, the reason there is a C++ libraries FAQ linked to from this
group's main language FAQ is that it's entirely on-topic to discuss
libraries and language usage in general.

Links to the

Available C++ Libraries FAQ

are available in the language FAQ item "Where can I get tons and tons of
more information on C++ class libraries?", currently at <url:
http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/class-libraries.html#faq-37.9>.

Of course the Libraries FAQ also refers back to the Language FAQ.

Thanks! A much more sensible and helpful answer than the preceding
ones. Particularly considering that I followed the guidelines - had not
asked for particular details of a particular library, only about the
existence of any other than PDFLib, *and* had said I was asking after
trying Google.

Vasudev