Request new feature suggestions for my PDF conversion toolkit - xtopdf

vasudevram

Hi all,

I had created this open source project - xtopdf -
http://sourceforge.net/projects/xtopdf - some time ago. It's a toolkit

to help with conversion of other file formats to PDF.

The current tools in xtopdf are available as both end-user command-line

tools, and as a library (in both procedural and object-oriented
versions) for use by developers in their own apps. Its written in
Python (needs V2.2 or higher) and uses the open source version of the
Reportlab toolkit (http://www.reportlab.org - needs V1.17 or higher)
for the PDF generation.

Initially I had included support for plain text and .DBF (XBase) files
as input formats. The current version of xtopdf is 1.0 and is in a
stable state. Recently I've added support for CSV and ODBC as input
formats (still to be uploaded to the site, after some cleanup,
refactoring and testing). I also have a few other related enhancements
/ extensions which I'm working on, and will mention on this group after

getting at least a proof-of-concept working.

Meanwhile, please give your suggestions for additional features or
input formats for xtopdf.
I can't promise to implement all (or any) of them - depends on the
feasibility, how easy or difficult I find it, and so on, but will
consider all reasonable suggestions seriously and see if I can
implement some of them.

I'd also welcome comments on the xtopdf code itself, from people who
know Python well.
I wrote it soon after learning a little Python, so it may not be
written in a very Pythonic or idiomatic style. As I go along, I plan to

incorporate more Pythonic style of doing things into the code,
including stuff like new-style classes, generators/yield, etc. -
anything that makes sense and seems appropriate, not just for the sake
of adding it. I'll create a Credits page in the xtopdf tarball and
site, and give due credit to anyone who suggests features, input
formats, or code improvements (or reports bugs:).

Thanks!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------­------------------------------------------------------

Vasudev Ram
---------------------------------------------------------------------------­------------------------------------------------------