Joined
Feb 1, 2024
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Hello!
This is my first post on this forum.
I posted this on stack overflow and they took it down as it isn't a direct question so I figured I'd come here and get better results.

My goal is to have a persistent project out there for recruiters to see and display my work. The project in mind will have users create an account and mention their interests. The site will then send a weekly email to these users based on their interests.

I have experience with HTML,CSS,JS. However, I feel like Python would be helpful as I have experience with its web scraping package(s). Maybe a Django framework? Unless I can use HTML,CSS and Python but to my knowledge I can't.

1) Suggestions on languages / frameworks I should use? I would like to use some sort of newer and relevant framework that doesn't have a steep learning curve.

2) What do you suggest I use to manage the mailing system? I see there are companies out there that do it however I feel if it isn't too hard to do it by myself that would be a great addition to the project to show recruiters.

3)I would like users to create accounts and add some sort of encryption to their usernames/emails and passwords. What sort of database or storage method should I use? I have experience with MySQL from college but if there is a better method to use nowadays that is somewhat easy to setup / connect with the rest of the project that would be greatly appreciated.

4) Where should I store my site? AWS? Another forum I use online called The Hull Truth seems to use CloudFlare or something. I don't need anything too crazy as I doubt my site is gonna get a lot of traffic

These are the main questions I have for now.
I truly would appreciate any feedback!

Joined
Feb 1, 2024
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Okay is no one reading this or am I posting to the wrong spot? Or has no one on this site done anything this? Doubt
I need help please! Especially with what server brand to go with. AWS? Azure?
Thank you.

Joined
Jan 24, 2024
Messages
42
Reaction score
7
Hello! Welcome to the forum, and I'm happy to help you with your project. It sounds like a great initiative to create a persistent project for recruiters to see. Let me address your questions:
  1. Language/Framework:
    • Since you have experience with HTML, CSS, and JS, and considering your interest in Python, Django would be a good choice. It's a robust web framework that follows the Model-View-Controller (MVC) pattern and is widely used for web development. Django also includes an ORM (Object-Relational Mapping) for database interactions, making it easier to work with databases.
  2. Mailing System:
    • For managing the mailing system, you can use Django's built-in email functionalities. Django has a simple API for sending emails, and you can use it to send weekly emails based on user interests. No need to rely on external services for this part.
  3. Database:
    • Django supports various databases, including MySQL. You can continue using MySQL if you're comfortable with it. Additionally, you might want to explore other options like PostgreSQL, which is also well-supported by Django and is known for its advanced features.
  4. Hosting:
    • For hosting, AWS and Azure are both excellent choices. AWS offers services like Amazon EC2 for virtual servers, Amazon RDS for managed databases, and Amazon S3 for storage. Azure provides similar services with Azure VMs, Azure SQL Database, and Azure Storage. Both platforms have free tiers that you can use to get started.
    • CloudFlare is a CDN (Content Delivery Network) and DDoS protection service. It's not a hosting provider per se, but you can use it in conjunction with a hosting service to enhance performance and security. You could use CloudFlare in front of your AWS or Azure setup.
    • Choose a hosting provider based on your preferences and requirements. AWS and Azure both have good documentation, so you can explore both and see which one aligns better with your needs.
Remember to keep your project version-controlled (using tools like Git), and consider deploying it on a platform that supports continuous integration and deployment for smoother development and updates. Good luck with your project! If you have more questions, feel free to ask.

Joined
Jan 23, 2024
Messages
8
Reaction score
2
Have you looked at creating your own blog website or forum? This could be a good idea to try and start one.