Any project ideas for landing a job ?

Reaction score
In short, my point is that I graduated 1 year ago and have been learning Java up to now. I have decent knowledge about almost every aspect of this language but I don't know if I will get employed with no experience at all.. So I came up with an idea of creating some sort of project to show off my skills.

My question is: Does anyone have any experience with this kind of stuff ? What are the best options for the project ? Should it be based on a database(backend) with some little frontend, application based or do I need to create some "hierarchy" of related classes to show them I understand OOP concepts..

Thanks for any reply..

Reaction score
I don't know where you live, but probably you will be employed. There is a big and growing hunger for IT professionals in the world right now and the bar is quite low. Also, there are internships and free events like hackatons you can partake in (or so I'm told, there aren't many in my small home town). Be active in the software community and create a good name for yourself and respectable online presence. Have good and updated profile in LinkedIn. A project to show is a great thing - it shows that you can code and you are passionate about programming, but if it is poorly written or simplistic and generic it isn't, and a good project can take many months to create, so in my opinion - don't bother.

Take your time to learn about software interviews instead. Be humble and respectful and leave a good impression of yourself as a person - you can always apply for the same position in 6 months or an year, but if you leave a bad impression you won't get another interview with that company, ever. Ask for feedback. Go to many interviews for different positions - like 10 to 20 in few weeks - most companies won't hire you because they interview a lot of people for few positions and pick the best fits for their specific situation, but don't take it as a fierce competition - take it as a numbers game - you do many interviews instead, and you will come as the best candidate in few and will receive offers.

With persistency, it will be extremely hard to not find a job as a developer. The harder part would be keeping that job and excelling at it. Don't ever get discouraged. Good luck

Reaction score
In short, my point is that I graduated 1 year ago and have been learning Java up to now. I have decent knowledge about almost every aspect of this language but I don't know if I will get employed with no experience at all.. So I came up with an idea of creating some sort of project to show off my skills.

My question is: Does anyone have any experience with this kind of stuff ? What are the best options for the project ? Should it be based on a database(backend) with some little frontend, application based or do I need to create some "hierarchy" of related classes to show them I understand OOP concepts.
You could consider building a web application with a database backend and a frontend interface, as it would allow you to showcase both your backend and frontend skills. Additionally, incorporating object-oriented programming concepts into your project is a good idea to showcase your understanding of OOP principles.

Ask a Question