C: The Complete Meta-Nonsense

Keith Thompson

Joe Wright said:
Kenny McCormack wrote: [more of the same]

I don't know why you read here at all. Your posts have no C
content. Assuming you're right and Peter, Richard and Keith continue
their fine work here, why not begin your dotage now?

Kenny has been posting here for years, and dozens of people
telling him just what you've told him have had no effect.
Consider killfiling him.

Kenny McCormack

Sucking up to Kenny? Pray tell for what reason John Kelly is posting to
clc. You
haven't asked any C questions nor provided any C answers. Read all you like.
Don't post anything not about the C programming language. Thank you.

Who appointed you netcop? Does it pay well? Good benefits?

And fix your line lengths...

John Kelly

Pray tell for what reason John Kelly is posting to clc. You
haven't asked any C questions nor provided any C answers.

That's not true.

Don't post anything not about the C programming language.

Thanks for the invitation.

dh, the daemon helper. Written in the C language, it makes any program
or script act like a daemon. For Linux. Not for Windows.

ftp://ftp.isp2dial.com/users/jak/src/dh/

This is like shooting fish in a barrel. :-D

Nick

The "nothing about C" thing is BS. The regs never get called on it when
they are OT. Double standards...

I'm not complaining that you are posting off topic. I'm complaining
that you aren't posting a single solitary smidgen of a suggestion of a
syllable about C.

I'm not asking for 100% on-topic. No group ever manages that. But a
percentage that would fit into a long double without rounding to zero
would be a start.

Seebs

There's no point in talking to one who only says the same thing again
and again. Talking birds can do that. If you don't need it, funny how
you think everyone else is just like you.
Hah.

I didn't write dh to replace existing daemon management systems, or to
be compatible with them. It's a standalone tool easy to use from the
command line.

So are the others. Both programs I found named daemon are standalone tools
easy to use from the command line. They also honor existing UNIX conventions
for the behavior and invocation of daemons.
Strange that you refuse to accept its objective may not
be what you think it ought.

No, I understand what its objective is, and there are better ones out there.
c.l.c may not be an ideal place to discuss UNIX C code.

Partially because a majority of the participants aren't UNIX users.
But in c.u.p
they focus on broader environmental issues, with little discussion of C
code.

It's still topical there, and you'll get more serious discussion of the stuff
you probably ought to be thinking about. If I were active there, I'd be
happy to point out another handful of issues you don't appear to know about,
but I'm not going to discuss Unix-specific stuff here.

(My justification for pointing out that there are existing programs like
this: The question of whether the problem is already solved is something
all C programmers should be thinking about.)

-s

Seebs

If only they would stick to answering questions, and overcome their
jealous hate. But that seems not likely.

The theory that there is "jealous hate" involved is continuing support
for my theory that you have relatively mild NPD. You might wanna have a
look at that.

-s

Seebs

PS and RH are friendly to newcomers, but they're also control freaks.

Not really. Telling people about Usenet group definitions and charters
is a useful service to people who are inclined to learn about the world
rather than demanding that it operate for their convenience.
Kenny sometimes provides moral support to those who dare disagree with
them. That's a service too.

It would if he had some kind of distinction between nutjobs and non-nutjobs.
Consider that his original white knighting of you consisted of telling me
you were obviously worthless and that engaging with you would allegedly
lower my status. :p

-s

Richard Tobin

Seebs said:
Around here, if I say a point is "moot", I am asserting that it's completely
irrelevant and not worth discussing. So, yeah, the negative connotations have
pretty much won. I would never have imagined that it implied that the issue
was open to debate, only that there was no point in talking about it.

There are other words where the dominance of a particular use has
resulted in its meaning being more or less inverted. "Specious"
originally meant "beautiful to the eye", but has come to mean
"beautiful *only* to the eye", "superficially attractive but in fact
worthless".

-- Richard

John Kelly

It's still topical there, and you'll get more serious discussion of the stuff
you probably ought to be thinking about. If I were active there, I'd be
happy to point out another handful of issues you don't appear to know about,
but I'm not going to discuss Unix-specific stuff here.

You have my email address. If you don't use it to educate me, your
speech is bombast.

(My justification for pointing out that there are existing programs like
this: The question of whether the problem is already solved is something
all C programmers should be thinking about.)

I solved the problem differently from prior art. C programmers may want
to know what alternatives exist. And if there exists a solution with an
Apache license.

Thanks for the invitation to publicize it.

dh, the daemon helper. Written in the C language, it makes any program
or script act like a daemon. For Linux. Not for Windows.

ftp://ftp.isp2dial.com/users/jak/src/dh/

Seebs

You have my email address. If you don't use it to educate me, your
speech is bombast.

Not really. I lack motivation. I don't care about your half-baked
reimplementation of something that was done correctly ten years ago
and still works fine now.

As long as your response to several million users is to compare them
to squealing pigs, I have no interest in trying to make your program
"work", when it is by design of no use to anyone but you.
I solved the problem differently from prior art.

For "differently", read "incorrectly".

The standard use cases are broken with your app and work with the existing
daemon apps I've seen. They got it right, you didn't.
Thanks for the invitation to publicize it.

There was no invitation. Your program is still crap, and thanks to your
refusal to learn the basics of C or programming style in general, it always
will be.

If you get that NPD treated, let us know.

-s

Seebs

Thanks for the invitation.

Lying about what other people said is not a particularly charming trait.
Written in the C language

This does not make your post about C.

If you sincerely believed it did, you would not have posted to an awk
newsgroup to advertise your program. Since you did, you obviously don't
actually think the language of implementation is significant to topicality.

-s

John Kelly

If you get that NPD treated, let us know.

If you repeat that often enough, perhaps a few of your followers will
believe it. But I don't believe that your followers are a large number.

Seebs

If you repeat that often enough, perhaps a few of your followers will
believe it. But I don't believe that your followers are a large number.

I doubt I have any followers; I didn't buy up charisma, and thought leadership
was a waste of a feat.

followups to rec.games.frp.dnd, please.

-s

John Kelly

Lying about what other people said is not a particularly charming trait.

Funny you can't follow your own advice.

This does not make your post about C.

If you sincerely believed it did, you would not have posted to an awk
newsgroup to advertise your program. Since you did, you obviously don't
actually think the language of implementation is significant to topicality.

It's useful to users of any UNIX programming language, awk, C, or
otherwise. Don't be shocked to see my posts in other ngs.

And try not to obsess. It's hard to imagine I'm so important.

Seebs

Funny you can't follow your own advice.

I've been quite careful about what I've said.
It's useful to users of any UNIX programming language, awk, C, or
otherwise.

Well, to be precise, it's use*less* to them, because you don't understand
what daemons do or how other programs interact with them.

But I fully agree that it is no more topical here than it is in an awk
newsgroup -- which is why your claim that it was topical here because it
was written in C was a lie. If you'd actually believed that, you would
have posted it only in C and Unix groups, not in other groups.
Don't be shocked to see my posts in other ngs.

Not shocked, but it does confirm that you're dishonest.
And try not to obsess. It's hard to imagine I'm so important.

I'm bored and easily amused. :)

-s

Seebs

You're also an enabler. Replying to trolls is like buying booze
for alcoholics. Worse, really. Alcoholics can go on the wagon,
but trolls can't fix stupid.

True. In particular, so far as anyone knows, NPD is completely
untreatable in practice. (There might well exist viable treatments;
the problem is that no one wants them. Except the unimportant people
who are in the vicinity of the person with NPD, but are not the
actual center of the universe.)

-s

Phil Carmody

John Kelly said:
Chambers lists two verb senses (of which the above is the first), one
adjectival sense; and two noun senses. See also "Entmoot" [Tolkien
1955].
Is this one of those subjects that is only "Off Topic" to non clique
members? I kind of figured it was.

When I post my dh link I'll ignore complaints that it's spam or off
topic.

Please take your head out of the sand. You're almost always spamming,
and you're almost always off-topic.

Too little time, too many idiots... <plonk>

Phil

Kenny McCormack

Phil Carmody said:
Please take your head out of the sand. You're almost always spamming,
and you're almost always off-topic.

Gee. And there are people who think Sarah Palin is a genius politician.

I guess there's nothing that can't be asserted.
(And believed by at least one someone, somewhere)