cache

Just D.

All,

Can we enable/disable the cache for each control separately or it's a global
feature for the whole page? I'm aware of many settings and some bugs
regarding cache but I've never seen anything on a control based level. I
know that if we place these 3 strings in aspx header then we can kill the
most of the caches beginning from the server and down to the client machine.

<META http-equiv="Pragma" content="NO-CACHE">
<META http-equiv="Expires" content="-1">
<META http-equiv="CACHE-CONTROL" content="NO-CACHE">

We also can use that in C# file on Page_Load()

Response.Cache.SetCacheability(HttpCacheability.NoCache);

for the same purpose and it really works great.

But I still want to enable caching for some of the controls, JS, Images,
etc. to reload only the dynamic content of the page. I know that if the JS
are placed into the separate files then they will be cached on the client
side, but maybe I'm wrong with that.

The only real reason why I started this war with caches is a lot of bugs and
problems in all layers beginning from the browsers. If the user clicks the
button then the datagrid for example should refresh of something and then
the page should show the updated content of the datagrid. It's just one of
many example. In real life everytihg's fine, I see in the debugger that it
works, but the client machine decides for some reason that the page content
wasn't updated, it has its own opinion about that, and shows the previous
page from its buffer. Crap! When I disabled all possible and impossible
caches it started working great but the delay before click-see became longer
and in some places significantly longer. That's why I wanted to cache some
heavy elements and disable the cache for the dynamic ones only.

One additional info - the released app works under SSL HTTPS, so the
encrypted pages should not be saved on the client machine by default...
theretically.

PLease help who knows about these bugs and features more.

Thanks,
Just D.

Just D.

Thanks, Ken!

That's interesting, I'm just wondering if I can enable caching for a list of
controls, but this is a good start to read about this stuff.

Just D.