Calling CreateProcessWithLogonW

Benjamin Bittner

Hallo NG,
I have problems with calling the CreateProcessWithLogonW() function. I tried
converting an VB6 example
(http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;285879) and some
snippets i found around the web. but i cant get it to work. It tries to
start the application, but it fails. In my eventlog i can see a new info
message, everytime i execute my code. i try to translate it, cause i have a
german windows installed, so it maybe wont be the exact words of the
original english info message.

Application popup: some.exe - Error in application: the application couldnt
be initialized properly (0xc0000142). Click "OK" to exit.
event-id: 26

I tried launching notepad.exe, cmd.exe, cscript.exe but everytime the same
error. What im tryin to achieve is, to execute the vbscript file
makew3site.vbs from IIS > AdminScripts.

This is my code:

Option Strict Off
Option Explicit On
Imports System.Runtime.InteropServices

Public Class WebForm2
Inherits System.Web.UI.Page

Protected WithEvents lblTest As System.Web.UI.WebControls.Label

#Region "Structs"
<StructLayout(LayoutKind.Sequential)> _
Public Structure PROCESS_INFORMATION
Dim hProcess As System.IntPtr
Dim hThread As System.IntPtr
Dim dwProcessId As Integer
Dim dwThreadId As Integer
End Structure

<StructLayout(LayoutKind.Sequential)> _
Public Structure STARTUPINFO
Dim cb As Integer
Dim lpReserved As System.IntPtr
Dim lpDesktop As System.IntPtr
Dim lpTitle As System.IntPtr
Dim dwX As Integer
Dim dwY As Integer
Dim dwXSize As Integer
Dim dwYSize As Integer
Dim dwXCountChars As Integer
Dim dwYCountChars As Integer
Dim dwFillAttribute As Integer
Dim dwFlags As Integer
Dim wShowWindow As Short
Dim cbReserved2 As Short
Dim lpReserved2 As System.IntPtr
Dim hStdInput As System.IntPtr
Dim hStdOutput As System.IntPtr
Dim hStdError As System.IntPtr
End Structure

#End Region

#Region "APIINFO"
Private Const LOGON_NETCREDENTIALS_ONLY As Integer = &H2
Private Const NORMAL_PRIORITY_CLASS As Integer = &H20
Private Const CREATE_DEFAULT_ERROR_MODE As Integer = &H4000000
Private Const CREATE_NEW_CONSOLE As Integer = &H10
Private Const CREATE_NEW_PROCESS_GROUP As Integer = &H200
Private Const LOGON_WITH_PROFILE As Integer = &H1

Private Declare Unicode Function CreateProcessWithLogon Lib "Advapi32"
Alias "CreateProcessWithLogonW" _
(ByVal lpUsername As String, _
ByVal lpDomain As String, _
ByVal lpPassword As String, _
ByVal dwLogonFlags As Integer, _
ByVal lpApplicationName As String, _
ByVal lpCommandLine As String, _
ByVal dwCreationFlags As Integer, _
ByVal lpEnvironment As System.IntPtr, _
ByVal lpCurrentDirectory As System.IntPtr, _
ByRef lpStartupInfo As STARTUPINFO, _
ByRef lpProcessInfo As PROCESS_INFORMATION) As Integer

Private Declare Function CloseHandle Lib "kernel32" (ByVal hObject As
System.IntPtr) As Integer
#End Region

#Region " Vom Web Form Designer generierter Code "

'Dieser Aufruf ist für den Web Form-Designer erforderlich.
InitializeComponent()

End Sub

System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Init
'CODEGEN: Diese Methode ist für den Web Form-Designer erforderlich
'Verwenden Sie nicht den Code-Editor zur Bearbeitung.
InitializeComponent()
End Sub

#End Region

System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
Dim szApp As String = "C:\winnt\notepad.exe"
Dim szCmdLine As String = ""
Dim szUser As String = "user"
Dim szPass As String = "password"
Dim szDomain As String = "TEST"
Dim siStartup As STARTUPINFO
Dim piProcess As PROCESS_INFORMATION

siStartup.cb = Marshal.SizeOf(siStartup)
siStartup.dwFlags = 0

Dim ret As Integer = CreateProcessWithLogon(szUser, szDomain,
szPass, LOGON_WITH_PROFILE, szApp, szCmdLine, _
CREATE_DEFAULT_ERROR_MODE, _
IntPtr.Zero, IntPtr.Zero, siStartup, piProcess)

If ret = 0 Then
lblTest.Text = New
System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception(Marshal.GetLastWin32Error()).Message
End If

CloseHandle(piProcess.hProcess)
CloseHandle(piProcess.hThread)
End Sub

End Class

I tried many combinations for szApp and szCmdLine, like tryin to give szApp
a reference to the exe, and szCmdLine the arguments, or leaving szApp empty
and passing everything woth szCmdLine like this:

Dim szCmdLine As String = "C:\Winnt\notepad.exe /put params here"

Also i tried to pass 0& as an integer in szApp, and szCmdLine like the above
one.
What i want to do is:

Dim szApp As String = "C:\Inetpub\AdminScripts\mkw3site.vbs"
Dim szCmdLine As String = "-r C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\client -t client.test.de -o
8080"

Could plz someone help me, im stuck with this for quite some days now, and
its drivin me nuts.
thx in advance
regards benni

Benjamin Bittner

Hallo Alstersjo
Alstersjo said:
Hello Benjamin
Thanks for your answer regarding my case.
I have got it to work running under w2k workstation but not under w3k server.
There I get the same error as you
Can it have something with rights to do.
If I find out this I'll post it here, will you do the same?
Regards Henrik
yeah for sure.
regards benni

Benjamin Bittner

Hallo Alstersjo

im startin to belive, that theres some kind of bug or something like that.
because as you say it works on a w2k workstation, but doesnt work on a win2k
server. i searched through many forums and other every resource i could
think of (msdn,kb,newsgroups). everytime the CreateProcessWithLogonW
function is called the same (some little differences, but i tried them all).
You see people thanking the author for his great job and posting how
incredebly well the code works (little sarcastic sorry), but it wont work
for us. so i assume theres something wrong with the systems were running.
but im out of ideas and resources. is there any microsoft email adress or
other resource i could post to?

regards benni

Guest

Hello Bittner
I'm starting to believe that to. And I am starting to run out of ideas. Do you have any ideas about workarounds?
Are you in an AD environment?
Regards Alstersjo