can ASP table display 200 columns, 500,000 rows?

Roland Hall

Notifies web-o-pedia that Tim Slattery has coined a new word:
jumpily
def. unsmooth scrolling of ASP generated data in a web browser

Wonder how long it'll take to debug...

Error on line 253,682. Unexpected result. Data is too large!
Line 253,682 reads: Patient reported uncontrollable erections.

Aaron Bertrand [MVP]

Ok, by a show of hands... how many of you are still using dialup on the
local LAN to get to the server?

So, are you saying that 72 seconds is acceptable, and we should just dump
the whole database to a web page?

Also, many people *do* use their home connection to dial into their VPN,
when they are not physically in the office. And presumably, the point of
moving to an ASP app is so that employees can get the information from
anywhere - in or out of the office.

Roland Hall

Aaron Bertrand said:
So, are you saying that 72 seconds is acceptable, and we should just dump
the whole database to a web page?

Nope. I didn't say anything. I asked a question. I think you
misunderstood it. Let me see if I can clear up the confusion:
You're in the office.
The server is across the hall.
You get on your modem and dial into the server.
Ridiculous? Yes.
Why did I ask the question? I thought it was ridiculous to include dialup as
a variable. Nothing had been said about usign dialup and I doubt very
seriously they're using it now with 400k rows using Notes.
Also, many people *do* use their home connection to dial into their VPN,
when they are not physically in the office. And presumably, the point of
moving to an ASP app is so that employees can get the information from
anywhere - in or out of the office.

Presumably? Where do get this from? He said he wanted to move to ASP
because why pull from notes to go to SQL. Why not just do everything in SQL
since data gets reported to M$ apps.

I'll grant you on your argument that it is a valid concern but he did not
raise these issues and IMHO it just adds to the confusion.

Ok, your turn. Fire away! (O:=

Aaron Bertrand [MVP]

since data gets reported to M$ apps.

Ok, your turn. Fire away! (O:=

Nah, not worth my time to argue with someone who uses a childish acronym
like M$.

Roland Hall

I'd explain it, but you didn't want to debate the issues, just attack me
personally. You appear to be pretty helpful and I'm sure your MVP status
was given because you earned it but looking back though GG, I see you also
have a habit of personal attacks. That's a shame since I explained my
reasoning and you chose to end the legitimate discussion with a personal
attack based on assumption. I even gave weight to what you were saying but
referenced that you brought it into the equation, not the originator. The
person who loses, when this happens, is the person seeking the help.

I've already explained it once.
http://groups.google.com/[email protected]&rnum=1

Aaron Bertrand - MVP

I'd explain it, but you didn't want to debate the issues, just attack me
personally.

I didn't attack you, I called the use of the acronym "M$" childish. I see
it here all too often, and the behavior, in and of itself, seems to be
intended solely to divert attention away from the issues. And experience
has shown me that when a person does that, it is most often the case that a
debate of any kind would be useless.

My whole argument was about dropping the whole table to a web browser in one
shot (which is unacceptable, dialup or not) vs. breaking it up into
reasonable chunks. I don't really care about the dialup issue at all, but
brought it up because, perhaps unlike yourself or the original poster, it is
an issue that the rest of us *do* have to deal with when designing ASP
applications.

Chris Barber

Nice rebuff :~

No matter the previous incarnation using Lotus Notes, ASP and web pages are
not the place for massive tables (or whatever you use to show the data).
Paging or providing a search / filter mechanism or a warning that > 1000
rows cannot be displayed seem to be the only real alternatives for
non-ActiveX based solutions.

The browser will take minutes to parse and display such a huge set of data
anyway so the prospect of it being usable is minimal.

You *could* use a client side ActiveX component in IE to show a datagrid and
use an asynchronous mechanism to stream the data to the client thus
providing a seamless experience and to my mind that is the only way that you
will get such a huge amount of data to the client at all.

However, you seem set on trying to emulate a significantly more powerful
system (Lotus Notes - internal LAN I presume) with a web browser so if you
ever get it working then let me know - I'd love to stress test my ADSL
router for about an hour :)

Cheers,

Chris.

Aaron Bertrand - MVP said:
I didn't attack you, I called the use of the acronym "M$" childish.

And it's not except that is your opinion.
MS is more widely known as to represent a single independent woman or a
really bad disease or a state. I do not see MS and think Microsoft and I
get tired of writing Microsoft when it's easier, especially in this industry
to use an acronym. When I first saw it, I too was offended until I learned
it represented commercial vs open system.
I see it here all too often, and the behavior, in and of itself, seems to be
intended solely to divert attention away from the issues.

How could the use of the acronym in itself divert away from the issue?
And experience
has shown me that when a person does that, it is most often the case that a
debate of any kind would be useless.

What? What a person uses an acronym then the discussion is off the table or
when they use one you disagree with or don't understand? It appears you are
right about one thing. It has taken the discussion off topic.
My whole argument was about dropping the whole table to a web browser in one
shot (which is unacceptable, dialup or not) vs. breaking it up into
reasonable chunks.

I agree. It is ridiculous to give anyone that much data for any reason no
matter what connection they were using.
I don't really care about the dialup issue at all, but
brought it up because, perhaps unlike yourself or the original poster, it is
an issue that the rest of us *do* have to deal with when designing ASP
applications.

That's fine but why push it in this discussion when delivering 500,000 rows
is ridiculous across the network. Dialup would make it even that much more
absurd. The point had already been made and a valid one at that.

--
Roland

This information is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but
or fitness for a particular purpose.

Aaron Bertrand - MVP

That's fine but why push it in this discussion when delivering 500,000
rows
is ridiculous across the network. Dialup would make it even that much more
absurd. The point had already been made and a valid one at that.

Let's review.

Phill mentioned how long it would take for dialup users to download a
ridiculous page.

You decided to take a survey, asking how many people use dialup against
their LAN.

I replied, stating that there *are* people who connect to their LAN, via
dialup, through a VPN. In fact, there are people in this very office that
do that.

So, what are you on about?

Chris Hohmann

Unsolicited responses inline:
Roland Hall said:
And it's not except that is your opinion.
MS is more widely known as to represent a single independent woman or a
really bad disease or a state. I do not see MS and think Microsoft and I
get tired of writing Microsoft when it's easier, especially in this industry
to use an acronym. When I first saw it, I too was offended until I learned
it represented commercial vs open system.

Your in an MS newgroup, talking about MS technology. It's all about
context. It's unlikely (but not impossible) that we would be talking
about MS or even MS. Sure someone may have a question about using MS
technology to create an application to track donations for a research
group trying to cure MS located in MS, but how often does that happen?
Secondly, there is nothing inherently non-commercial about open systems
(read as Open Source Software). It's free as in speech, not necessarily
free as in beer.
seems to
be

How could the use of the acronym in itself divert away from the issue?

Does anyone remember what the topic was origianlly. I got lost somewhere
along the way.
that

What? What a person uses an acronym then the discussion is off the table or
when they use one you disagree with or don't understand? It appears you are
right about one thing. It has taken the discussion off topic.

Yes, the discussion is off the table, at least until we all get back
from the Crusades(TM).
browser in
one

I agree. It is ridiculous to give anyone that much data for any reason no
matter what connection they were using.

Agreed then. But don't try to change the subject back. Let's keep
fighting about acronyms.
poster, it
is

That's fine but why push it in this discussion when delivering 500,000 rows
is ridiculous across the network. Dialup would make it even that much more
absurd. The point had already been made and a valid one at that.

This has nothing to do with acronyms! If you want to discuss using ASP
to display 500,00 rows start a new thread.
--
Roland

This information is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but
or fitness for a particular purpose.

-Chris "Call me a fish, 'cause I took the bait" Hohmann