Can someone please explain this?

harry

Following on from my "bug in IE 5.5" posting yesterday.

Using IE 5.5 (sp2) - intranet app & no other browser required.

Using the HTML code (you don't need an image1.gif to see these bizzare
effects), shown below, why the hell does the image disappear when the
browser window is widened/ narrowed but stays there if you reduce/increase
the height? - this does not happen in Firefox!

This is doing my head in!

thanks

harry

<%@ page contentType="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1" language="java"
import="java.sql.*" errorPage="" %>
"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
<head>
<title>Untitled Document</title>
</head>
<script type="text/javascript">
<!--
function getElement(id)
{
var ctrl=null;

if(document.all)
{
ctrl = document.all[id];

if(ctrl==null)
ctrl = document.getElementById(id);
}
else
ctrl = document.getElementById(id);

return ctrl
}

function showObject(id)
{
getElement(id).style.display = '';
}

function hideObject(id)
{
getElement(id).style.display = 'none';
}

function onload()
{
hideObject('text1');
hideObject('text2');
hideObject('text3');
hideObject('image1');

showObject('text1');
showObject('text2');
showObject('text3');
showObject('image1');
}
-->
</script>

<input type="image" id="image1" src="image1.gif" style="cursor:hand;">

Els

harry said:
Following on from my "bug in IE 5.5" posting yesterday.

I didn't see that posting. What was it about?
Using IE 5.5 (sp2) - intranet app & no other browser required.

Using the HTML code (you don't need an image1.gif to see these bizzare
effects), shown below, why the hell does the image disappear when the
browser window is widened/ narrowed but stays there if you reduce/increase
the height? - this does not happen in Firefox!

Please don't just post code, but give a URL to a live example. I don't
feel like copying your code into an text editor, save it on my
harddisk, upload it to my server, and then check what happens.

Nevertheless: Google for peek-a-boo bug, and you may find the answer
to your question :)

harry

thanks for such a fast reply, if I wanted to put this page so you can see it
via a URL have you any suggestions for free web space.

I'm working on a company intranet & can't let you see the file on our
server!

regards

harry

Blinky the Shark

harry said:
thanks for such a fast reply, if I wanted to put this page so you can see it
via a URL have you any suggestions for free web space.

No free space at your ISP? Except for the Ma'n'Pa operations, most
offer a bit.

harry

if you resize (only seems to disappear when changing width), the browser
window in IE 5.5 does the view button disappear?

the onload function serves on to show what happens to an image when it's
been shown/hidden using it's style.display property

hope this makes sense?

thanks

harry

Els said:
[weird disappearing things in IE5.5]
sorry, if I'd thought about it, doh!, try this

http://www.harryajh.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/untitled2.htm

I see the same thing in Firebird without JavaScript, Firefox with
JavaScript, IE5.0 and IE5.5 ( no idea about JavaScript settings).

I see 3 rows of "text 2" and a view button that doesn't work.

--
Els http://locusmeus.com/
- Renato Russo -

Els

harry said:
if you resize (only seems to disappear when changing width), the browser
window in IE 5.5 does the view button disappear?

Yes, and indeed in IE 5.5 only. IE 5.0 and 6.0 are both fine.
the onload function serves on to show what happens to an image when it's
been shown/hidden using it's style.display property

hope this makes sense?

No, I don't speak JavaScript at all.

However, the combination of a disappearing button (which reappears on
reloading the page) and "shown/hidden using it's [sic] style.display
property" does make me suspect one has got to do with the other.

I can't help you figure out what the problem is though, unless you can
reproduce the problem without the JavaScript? As in static HTML/CSS ?

Could you please express your gratitude by replying below the bit you
are quoting, and snipping the irrelevant bits like sigs?

Thanks :)

harry

thanks for your help, looks like I'm stuck with my original workaround -
hiding/showing buttons every time the windows resizes!

Els said:
harry said:
[...]

Now playing: The Kinks - So Happy Together.mp3

Els

thanks for your help, looks like I'm stuck with my original workaround -
hiding/showing buttons every time the windows resizes!

Now, how did we tell you to show your gratitude?

(and besides: I think you're wrong about being stuck with that
workaround)

harry

sorry!

"(and besides: I think you're wrong about being stuck with that
workaround)" - It's the only thing that seems to work so for now I can live
with it!

many thanks once again

harry