Can't make table the size of the screen

tshad

I don't have a URL to point to as I don't have a website. This is
just being done at home at the moment.

I am trying to make a master page where the main table is the size of
the screen or greater.

This works fine in FireFox.

In the table, there are 3 rows:
Top: holds an image or text about 90px height
Middle: has another table with 2 columns - left has menu and right
content. Should take up most of the screen and have set at 100%.
Bottom: the footer (about 39px).

So the top and bottom are fixed with the middle changing as the user
changes the size of the screen.

But the top and bottom are still about the same size as the middle and
change as the screen changes (they should never change).

I had to strip out all the asp.net code and css files to get to the
lowest common denominator with just a basic table.

<head><title>
FAQS
</title><meta http-equiv="content-type" content="application/xhtml
+xml;
charset=UTF-8" />
html,
body {
height: 100%;
}

body {
margin: 0;
padding: 0;
text-align: center;
color: #555;
}
</head>

<!-- #header: holds the logo and top links -->
<!-- #header end -->

100%">
<!-- <div id="headerImg" class="width"></div>
--> </div>
background-color: White; height:100%;border:solid 4px Green">

style="height:100%" >
align:left;margin:0 0 0 10px" bgcolor="#EDE2E6">
Advantages<br />
Concerns<br />
This is faqs

I made some changes that seem to create the top and bottom rows
correctly, but now the middle, which is 100%, makes the middle row
the
size
of the screen not just what is left so that the whole table is the
size of
the screen. Now the table goes below the bottom of the screen. I
tried
taking out one of the 100% from the middle <td> but that just shrunk
middle
down so space was spread between the 3 rows and the table is not 100%
of the
middle section but the size of the content itself.

<head><title>
FAQS
</title><meta http-equiv="content-type" content="application/xhtml
+xml;
charset=UTF-8" />
html,
body {
height: 100%;
}

body {
margin: 0;
padding: 0;
text-align: center;
color: #555;
}
</head>

<!-- #content: holds all except site footer - causes footer to stick
bottom -->

<!-- #header: holds the logo and top links -->
<!-- #header end -->

style="width:776px;height:100%">
<!-- <div id="headerImg" class="width"></div>
--> </div>
text-align:left">

border:solid 4px purple;width:100%;height:100%" >
align:left;margin:0
0 0 10px" bgcolor="#EDE2E6">
Advantages<br />
Concerns<br />
This is faqs

I tried changing the DTD to different settings but that didn't work.

I did find an interesting thing, if I just commented out the old DTD
and created a new one.
/* <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"> */

/*<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN" "http://www.w3.org/
TR/html4/strict.dtd">*/

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://
www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">

If I leave the old line as a comment, it works but puts /* */ /* */
at top of page.

If I take out the commented part, it goes back to the old behavior
where the middle row is the size of the screen.

As I mentioned, this works fine in FireFox.

Thanks,

Tom

Neredbojias

[...]

***

If I leave the old line as a comment, it works but puts /* */ /* */
at top of page.

If I take out the commented part, it goes back to the old behavior
where the middle row is the size of the screen.

As I mentioned, this works fine in FireFox.

Set the table to 100% height and the top & bottom rows to 1px height.

dorayme

<[email protected]
m>,
tshad said:
I don't have a URL to point to as I don't have a website. This is
just being done at home at the moment.

I am trying to make a master page where the main table is the size of
the screen or greater.

This works fine in FireFox.

But it does not work fine in? You forgot to say?

tshad

I also find that it works on Safari as well. Both Safari and FireFox have
the table left justified, which is easily fixed.

I assume that both use the same engines.

Tom

dorayme

"tshad said:
I also find that it works on Safari as well. Both Safari and FireFox have
the table left justified, which is easily fixed.

Try to post a URL. If you do not know why you are using the
doctype you use, use 4.01 Strict instead. Don't comment out
things so much so what you are trying to do can be seen. And what
is the div wrapper for exactly?

tshad

dorayme said:
Try to post a URL. If you do not know why you are using the
doctype you use, use 4.01 Strict instead. Don't comment out
things so much so what you are trying to do can be seen. And what
is the div wrapper for exactly?

I don't have a web site to post it from.

I did try 4.01 Strict and got the same result.

Isn't that:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN" "http://www.w3.org/
TR/html4/strict.dtd">

The 1st div actually has the background behind the table.

The 2nd div has the image that is in the 1st row. That is surrounded by the
another Div to put a white background behind the image. I am fading the
image and the dark background makes it hard to see the image - so the white
background fixes that.

This was stripped down to the bare minimum to try to find out why the table
wasn't working correctly.

Thanks,

Tom

dorayme

"tshad said:
I don't have a web site to post it from.

If you are able to post to usenet, you must be on the internet
and your ISP (if you have one) might well allow you some free
server space to put up a page or three. If you do not have an
ISP, you can still get free server space, there are a few,
"tripod.com" is one I think and there are plenty of others. It is
really best to see your effort via a server.

I did try 4.01 Strict and got the same result.

That is OK. I was not suggesting it solved all your problems.
The 1st div actually has the background behind the table.

But all you have is

Where is the background?

Why is it needed anyway when the table itself can be given a
background?
The 2nd div has the image that is in the 1st row. That is surrounded by the
another Div to put a white background behind the image. I am fading the
image and the dark background makes it hard to see the image - so the white
background fixes that.

You mean:

<!-- <div id="headerImg" class="width"></div>
--> </div>

The cell can be given a background, why do you need an extra div
to do it?
This was stripped down to the bare minimum to try to find out why the table
wasn't working correctly.

Why do you really need a table within a table? Why exactly?

Andy

tshad said:
[...]

Hi Tom,

Lose the <divs> as they're constricting the tables. Apply styles to the <td>
instead. Here's an example with coloured borders so you can see the
boundaries...

style="border: solid 1px red">
green">HEADING</td>

border: solid 1px black">
Advantages<br>
Concerns<br>

blue">FOOTER</td>

.... hope this helps

Andy

Neredbojias

I don't have a web site to post it from.

I did try 4.01 Strict and got the same result.

Isn't that:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN" "http://www.w3.org/
TR/html4/strict.dtd">

The 1st div actually has the background behind the table.

The 2nd div has the image that is in the 1st row. That is surrounded
by the another Div to put a white background behind the image. I am
fading the image and the dark background makes it hard to see the
image - so the white background fixes that.

This was stripped down to the bare minimum to try to find out why the
table wasn't working correctly.

If you REALLY want it to work in ie7, you'll have to use Quirks mode.
Ie7 is broken. This is generally frowned upon but since you'd need it
to stretch the div in some browsers, anyway, you may as well do it. I
got it to work the way you want, identically, in ALL browsers in about
half-an-hour. One additional hint: the (inner) border is a prob; put
it on the <td>.

tshad

Andy said:
Hi Tom,

Lose the <divs> as they're constricting the tables. Apply styles to
the <td> instead. Here's an example with coloured borders so you can
see the boundaries...

style="border: solid 1px red">
1px green">HEADING</td>

#EDE2E6; border: solid 1px black">
Advantages<br>
Concerns<br>
faqs</td> </tr>

1px blue">FOOTER</td>

... hope this helps

I tried using your example and still can't get it to work in ie7.

The top and bottom rows are still expanding and contracting as size of the
window changes.

They need to be fixed where only the middle row changes.

I also tried it changeing the "*" to "100%" and got the same result.

style="border: solid 1px red">
green">HEADING</td>

border: solid 1px black">
Advantages<br>