CDO Error: "The pickup directory path is required and was not specified"

Alan Howard

Hi there,

I can't seem to find any info on this error message that's generated when
sending email with CDO:

"The pickup directory path is required and was not specified"

Does anyone know whether the cdoSMTPServerPickupDirectory field of the
Message object defaults and whether it's normal to have to set this value
explicitly. My W2K workstations and servers function OK without this
setting, but one of the XP workstations is playing up. All SMTP directories
are set to the default 'C:\inetpub\mailroot\'.

Thanks,

Alan

Alan Howard

Thanks Aaron.

Using Port and an remote SMTP server works fine from the XP box that chokes
using Pickup (and the other workstations/servers). Have also tried
reinstalling SMTP svc on the XP box but that hasn't cleared the fault. Also
ran adsutil.vbs and the (default??) pickup directory looks fine.

Code from the dispatch routine looks like this:
('SendUsingMethod', 'MailFormat' are enums passed into this routine,
'Attachments' is an array of attachements):

' Configure the email.
Set cdoConfig = New CDO.Configuration
With cdoConfig.Fields
If (SendUsingMethod = ufSendUsingPickup) Then
.Item(cdoSendUsingMethod) = cdoSendUsingPickup
Else
.Item(cdoSendUsingMethod) = cdoSendUsingPort
.Item(cdoSMTPServer) = SmtpServerName
End If
.Update
End With

Set cdoMessage = New CDO.Message
With cdoMessage

Set .Configuration = cdoConfig
' Set the format.
If (MailFormat = ufMailFormatText) Then .MimeFormatted = False Else
..MimeFormatted = True
.From = FromAddress
.To = ToAddress
.CC = CcAddress
.BCC = BccAddress
.Subject = Subject
.TextBody = Body
' Attach the files specified.
If (IsArray(Attachments)) Then
For Each Attachment In Attachments
If (CStr(Attachment) <> "") Then .AddAttachment
CStr(Attachment)
Next
Else
If (CStr(Attachments) <> "") Then .AddAttachment
CStr(Attachments)
End If

' Release the email.
.Send