Character operations in C++

Joined
Dec 12, 2022
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
The prompt is: "Read a 3-character string from input into variable inString. Declare a Boolean variable noDigits and assign noDigits with true if inString does not contain any digits. Otherwise, assign noDigits with false."
I cannot figure out why my code doesn't work. Any help would be appreciated!

C++:
#include <iostream>
#include <string>
#include <cctype>
using namespace std;

int main() {
   string inString;

   getline(cin, inString);
   bool noDigits;

   if(!(isdigit(inString.at(0) && (!(isdigit(inString.at(1)) {
      noDigits = true;
   } else {
      noDigits = false;
   }

   if (noDigits) {
      cout << "String accepted" << endl;
   }
   else {
      cout << "String not accepted" << endl;
   }

   return 0;
}

Joined
Sep 3, 2023
Messages
36
Reaction score
2
Homework question? Hint the first compiler error I get is:

Code:
digit.cpp:19:62: error: expected ')'
   if(!(isdigit(inString.at(0) && (!(isdigit(inString.at(1)) {

This error is probably the number one programming nuisance.

Also use comments to comment out code to simplify the code. You need to have it compile properly before you can go on to fix other problems such as requirements.

Joined
Jul 4, 2023
Messages
366
Reaction score
41
Fix the condition in the first if statement to have the correct number of closing braces.
From this
C++:
if(!(isdigit(inString.at(0) && (!(isdigit(inString.at(1))
To for example
C++:
if (!isdigit(inString.at(0)) && !isdigit(inString.at(1)))

BTW check this
[ working code on-line ]
C++:
#include <iostream>
#include <string>
#include <cctype>
using namespace std;

int main() {
   string inString;

   cout << "Enter a 3-character: ";
   getline(cin, inString);

   bool noDigits = true;

   for (char ch : inString) {
      if (isdigit(ch)) {
         noDigits = false;
         break; // Exit the loop early if a digit is found