CheckBox Template Column

IntraRELY

I added my code but if you look at the last sub, it creates the red
background but I need to make the whole background for the row red. You will
see the first sub does this with mouse overs, but I need the checked rows to
remain highlighted, but cannot get it to work.

TIA,

Steve

=============ASP
<asp:datagrid id="dgDepositories" style="Z-INDEX: 103; LEFT: 32px; POSITION:
absolute; TOP: 40px"
runat="server"
OnPageIndexChanged="dgDepositories_PageIndexChanged"
DataKeyField="depositoryId"
AutoGenerateColumns="False"
PageSize="3"
AllowPaging="True"
AllowCustomPaging="True"
PagerStyle-Mode="NumericPages"
OnItemDataBound="dgDepositories_ItemDataBound">
<Columns>
<asp:TemplateColumn HeaderText="Delete">
<ItemTemplate>
<asp:CheckBox id="cbDelete"
runat="server"
OnCheckedChanged="dgDepositories_checkedchanged"
AutoPostBack="True">
</asp:CheckBox>
</ItemTemplate>
</asp:TemplateColumn>
</Columns>
</asp:datagrid>
=======Code Behind
Public Sub dgDepositories_ItemDataBound(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e _
As System.Web.UI.WebControls.DataGridItemEventArgs) Handles
dgDepositories.ItemDataBound
' Changes the background on mouse overs
If e.Item.ItemType = ListItemType.Item Or _
e.Item.ItemType = ListItemType.AlternatingItem Then
e.Item.Attributes.Add("onmouseover", "this.style.backgroundColor='Silver'")
e.Item.Attributes.Add("onmouseout", "this.style.backgroundColor='white'")
End If
End Sub

-----
Public Sub dgDepositories_checkedchanged(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As
System.EventArgs) _
Dim chkTemp As System.Web.UI.WebControls.CheckBox
' Makes the background red for just the checkbox cell.
chkTemp = sender
If chkTemp.Checked = True Then
lblMessage.Text = (chkTemp.UniqueID & "Is now checked")
chkTemp.Attributes.Add("onmouseover", "this.style.backgroundColor='red'")
Else
lblMessage.Text = (chkTemp.UniqueID & "Is now un-checked")
chkTemp.Attributes.Add("onmouseover", "this.style.backgroundColor='white'")
End If
End Sub

Lewis Wang [MSFT]

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your posting. I am checking this issue, and will get back to you
with my findings.

Best regards,
Lewis

--------------------
> [...]
|
| -----
| Public Sub dgDepositories_checkedchanged(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e
As
| System.EventArgs) _
| Dim chkTemp As System.Web.UI.WebControls.CheckBox
| ' Makes the background red for just the checkbox cell.
| chkTemp = sender
| If chkTemp.Checked = True Then
| lblMessage.Text = (chkTemp.UniqueID & "Is now checked")
| chkTemp.Attributes.Add("onmouseover", "this.style.backgroundColor='red'")
| Else
| lblMessage.Text = (chkTemp.UniqueID & "Is now un-checked")
| chkTemp.Attributes.Add("onmouseover",
"this.style.backgroundColor='white'")
| End If
| End Sub
|

| | > I need to highlight a datagrid row if the check box is selected for that
| > row. I am really not clear how to reference it.

Lewis Wang [MSFT]

Hi Steve,

There is two ways to resolve this issue. One is on the server side code and
another is on the client side.

1. Server side: using "(DataGridItem)chkTemp.Parent .Parent" to get the
reference of the DataGridItem.

public void dgDepositories_checkedchanged(object sender, System.EventArgs e)
{
CheckBox chkTemp= (CheckBox)sender;
if(chkTemp.Checked)
{
DataGridItem dgi=(DataGridItem)chkTemp.Parent.Parent;
dgi.BackColor =Color.Red ;
}
else
{
DataGridItem dgi=(DataGridItem)chkTemp.Parent.Parent;
dgi.BackColor =Color.White;

2. Client side: using
"this.parentElement.parentElement.style.backgroundColor" to highlight the
whole datagrid row. Here is a code snippet, you may modify it to meet your
requirements.

. . .
<ItemTemplate>
<asp:CheckBox id="CheckBox1" runat="server"
onclick="if(this.parentElement.parentElement.style.backgroundColor!='red')th
is.parentElement.parentElement.style.backgroundColor='red';else
this.parentElement.parentElement.style.backgroundColor='white';"></asp:Check

. . .
</ItemTemplate>
. . .

Does this answer your question? Please let me know if you need more
information

Best regards,
Lewis

--------------------
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.datagridcontrol
| From: (e-mail address removed) (Lewis Wang [MSFT])
| Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 05:13:58 GMT
| Subject: Re: CheckBox Template Column
|
| Hi Steve,
|
| Thanks for your posting. I am checking this issue, and will get back to
you
| with my findings.
|
| Best regards,
| Lewis

rights.
| --------------------
| | From: "IntraRELY" <[email protected]>
| | Subject: Re: CheckBox Template Column
| | Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 16:53:45 -0700
| | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.datagridcontrol
| | remain highlighted, but cannot get it to work.
| |
| | TIA,
| |
| | Steve
| |
| | =============ASP
| | <asp:datagrid id="dgDepositories" style="Z-INDEX: 103; LEFT: 32px;
| POSITION:
| | absolute; TOP: 40px"
| | runat="server"
| | OnPageIndexChanged="dgDepositories_PageIndexChanged"
| | DataKeyField="depositoryId"
| | AutoGenerateColumns="False"
| | PageSize="3"
| | AllowPaging="True"
| | AllowCustomPaging="True"
| | PagerStyle-Mode="NumericPages"
| | OnItemDataBound="dgDepositories_ItemDataBound">
| | <Columns>
| | <asp:TemplateColumn HeaderText="Delete">
| | <ItemTemplate>
| | <asp:CheckBox id="cbDelete"
| | runat="server"
| | OnCheckedChanged="dgDepositories_checkedchanged"
| | AutoPostBack="True">
| | </asp:CheckBox>
| | </ItemTemplate>
| | </asp:TemplateColumn>
| | </Columns>
| | </asp:datagrid>
| | =======Code Behind
| | Public Sub dgDepositories_ItemDataBound(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e
_
| | As System.Web.UI.WebControls.DataGridItemEventArgs) Handles
| | dgDepositories.ItemDataBound
| | ' Changes the background on mouse overs
| | If e.Item.ItemType = ListItemType.Item Or _
| | e.Item.ItemType = ListItemType.AlternatingItem Then
| | e.Item.Attributes.Add("onmouseover",
| "this.style.backgroundColor='Silver'")
| | e.Item.Attributes.Add("onmouseout",
"this.style.backgroundColor='white'")
| | End If
| | End Sub
| |
| | -----
| | Public Sub dgDepositories_checkedchanged(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal
| As
| | System.EventArgs) _
| | Dim chkTemp As System.Web.UI.WebControls.CheckBox
| | ' Makes the background red for just the checkbox cell.
| | chkTemp = sender
| | If chkTemp.Checked = True Then
| | lblMessage.Text = (chkTemp.UniqueID & "Is now checked")
| | chkTemp.Attributes.Add("onmouseover",
"this.style.backgroundColor='red'")
| | Else
| | lblMessage.Text = (chkTemp.UniqueID & "Is now un-checked")
| | chkTemp.Attributes.Add("onmouseover",
| "this.style.backgroundColor='white'")
| | End If
| | End Sub
| |
| |
| | > row. I am really not clear how to reference it.
| | >
| | > TIA,
| | >
| | > Steve Wofford
| | > www.IntraRELY.com

| |
| |
| |

Teemu Keiski

Andy Smith's free RowSelectorColumn can be useful in these scenarios as
well.
http://www.metabuilders.com/Tools/RowSelectorColumn.aspx

--
Teemu Keiski
MCP,Designer/Developer

AspInsiders Member, www.aspinsiders.com
ASP.NET Forums Moderator, www.asp.net

Lewis Wang said:
[...]

. .
<ItemTemplate>
<asp:CheckBox id="CheckBox1" runat="server"
onclick="if(this.parentElement.parentElement.style.backgroundColor!='red')th
is.parentElement.parentElement.style.backgroundColor='red';else
this.parentElement.parentElement.style.backgroundColor='white';"></asp:Check

. . .
</ItemTemplate>
. .

Does this answer your question? Please let me know if you need more
information

Best regards,
Lewis

--------------------
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.datagridcontrol
| From: (e-mail address removed) (Lewis Wang [MSFT])
| Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 05:13:58 GMT
| Subject: Re: CheckBox Template Column
|
| Hi Steve,
|
| Thanks for your posting. I am checking this issue, and will get back to
you
| with my findings.
|
| Best regards,
| Lewis

rights.
| --------------------
| | From: "IntraRELY" <[email protected]>
| | Subject: Re: CheckBox Template Column
| | Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 16:53:45 -0700
| | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.datagridcontrol
| | remain highlighted, but cannot get it to work.
| |
| | TIA,
| |
| | Steve
| |
| | =============ASP
| | <asp:datagrid id="dgDepositories" style="Z-INDEX: 103; LEFT: 32px;
| POSITION:
| | absolute; TOP: 40px"
| | runat="server"
| | OnPageIndexChanged="dgDepositories_PageIndexChanged"
| | DataKeyField="depositoryId"
| | AutoGenerateColumns="False"
| | PageSize="3"
| | AllowPaging="True"
| | AllowCustomPaging="True"
| | PagerStyle-Mode="NumericPages"
| | OnItemDataBound="dgDepositories_ItemDataBound">
| | <Columns>
| | <asp:TemplateColumn HeaderText="Delete">
| | <ItemTemplate>
| | <asp:CheckBox id="cbDelete"
| | runat="server"
| | OnCheckedChanged="dgDepositories_checkedchanged"
| | AutoPostBack="True">
| | </asp:CheckBox>
| | </ItemTemplate>
| | </asp:TemplateColumn>
| | </Columns>
| | </asp:datagrid>
| | =======Code Behind
| | Public Sub dgDepositories_ItemDataBound(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e
_
| | As System.Web.UI.WebControls.DataGridItemEventArgs) Handles
| | dgDepositories.ItemDataBound
| | ' Changes the background on mouse overs
| | If e.Item.ItemType = ListItemType.Item Or _
| | e.Item.ItemType = ListItemType.AlternatingItem Then
| | e.Item.Attributes.Add("onmouseover",
| "this.style.backgroundColor='Silver'")
| | e.Item.Attributes.Add("onmouseout",
"this.style.backgroundColor='white'")
| | End If
| | End Sub
| |
| | -----
| | Public Sub dgDepositories_checkedchanged(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal
| As
| | System.EventArgs) _
| | Dim chkTemp As System.Web.UI.WebControls.CheckBox
| | ' Makes the background red for just the checkbox cell.
| | chkTemp = sender
| | If chkTemp.Checked = True Then
| | lblMessage.Text = (chkTemp.UniqueID & "Is now checked")
| | chkTemp.Attributes.Add("onmouseover",
"this.style.backgroundColor='red'")
| | Else
| | lblMessage.Text = (chkTemp.UniqueID & "Is now un-checked")
| | chkTemp.Attributes.Add("onmouseover",
| "this.style.backgroundColor='white'")
| | End If
| | End Sub
| |
| |
| | > row. I am really not clear how to reference it.
| | >
| | > TIA,
| | >
| | > Steve Wofford
| | > www.IntraRELY.com

| |
| |
| |

IntraRELY

Lewis, Thank you so much for this information, one of the best responses
ever. Truely appreciated.

The code below works great, but since I am using highlights for onmouseover
it is changing the checked rows background color. Remember I am highlighting
2 differant events.

1. simple onmouseover
2. check rows

How do I tell it to ignore rows that have a checked box? The code is in the
original dgDepositories_ItemDataBound sub

Thanks again,

Steve Wofford
www.IntraRELY.com

Lewis Wang said:
Hi Steve,

There is two ways to resolve this issue. One is on the server side code and
another is on the client side.

1. Server side: using "(DataGridItem)chkTemp.Parent .Parent" to get the
reference of the DataGridItem.

public void dgDepositories_checkedchanged(object sender, System.EventArgs e)
{
CheckBox chkTemp= (CheckBox)sender;
if(chkTemp.Checked)
{
DataGridItem dgi=(DataGridItem)chkTemp.Parent.Parent;
dgi.BackColor =Color.Red ;
}
else
{
DataGridItem dgi=(DataGridItem)chkTemp.Parent.Parent;
dgi.BackColor =Color.White;

2. Client side: using
"this.parentElement.parentElement.style.backgroundColor" to highlight the
whole datagrid row. Here is a code snippet, you may modify it to meet your
requirements.

. .
<ItemTemplate>
<asp:CheckBox id="CheckBox1" runat="server"
onclick="if(this.parentElement.parentElement.style.backgroundColor!='red')th
is.parentElement.parentElement.style.backgroundColor='red';else
this.parentElement.parentElement.style.backgroundColor='white';"></asp:Check

. . .
</ItemTemplate>
. .

Does this answer your question? Please let me know if you need more
information

Best regards,
Lewis

--------------------
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.datagridcontrol
| From: (e-mail address removed) (Lewis Wang [MSFT])
| Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 05:13:58 GMT
| Subject: Re: CheckBox Template Column
|
| Hi Steve,
|
| Thanks for your posting. I am checking this issue, and will get back to
you
| with my findings.
|
| Best regards,
| Lewis

rights.
| --------------------
| | From: "IntraRELY" <[email protected]>
| | Subject: Re: CheckBox Template Column
| | Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 16:53:45 -0700
| | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.datagridcontrol
| | remain highlighted, but cannot get it to work.
| |
| | TIA,
| |
| | Steve
| |
| | =============ASP
| | <asp:datagrid id="dgDepositories" style="Z-INDEX: 103; LEFT: 32px;
| POSITION:
| | absolute; TOP: 40px"
| | runat="server"
| | OnPageIndexChanged="dgDepositories_PageIndexChanged"
| | DataKeyField="depositoryId"
| | AutoGenerateColumns="False"
| | PageSize="3"
| | AllowPaging="True"
| | AllowCustomPaging="True"
| | PagerStyle-Mode="NumericPages"
| | OnItemDataBound="dgDepositories_ItemDataBound">
| | <Columns>
| | <asp:TemplateColumn HeaderText="Delete">
| | <ItemTemplate>
| | <asp:CheckBox id="cbDelete"
| | runat="server"
| | OnCheckedChanged="dgDepositories_checkedchanged"
| | AutoPostBack="True">
| | </asp:CheckBox>
| | </ItemTemplate>
| | </asp:TemplateColumn>
| | </Columns>
| | </asp:datagrid>
| | =======Code Behind
| | Public Sub dgDepositories_ItemDataBound(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e
_
| | As System.Web.UI.WebControls.DataGridItemEventArgs) Handles
| | dgDepositories.ItemDataBound
| | ' Changes the background on mouse overs
| | If e.Item.ItemType = ListItemType.Item Or _
| | e.Item.ItemType = ListItemType.AlternatingItem Then
| | e.Item.Attributes.Add("onmouseover",
| "this.style.backgroundColor='Silver'")
| | e.Item.Attributes.Add("onmouseout",
"this.style.backgroundColor='white'")
| | End If
| | End Sub
| |
| | -----
| | Public Sub dgDepositories_checkedchanged(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal
| As
| | System.EventArgs) _
| | Dim chkTemp As System.Web.UI.WebControls.CheckBox
| | ' Makes the background red for just the checkbox cell.
| | chkTemp = sender
| | If chkTemp.Checked = True Then
| | lblMessage.Text = (chkTemp.UniqueID & "Is now checked")
| | chkTemp.Attributes.Add("onmouseover",
"this.style.backgroundColor='red'")
| | Else
| | lblMessage.Text = (chkTemp.UniqueID & "Is now un-checked")
| | chkTemp.Attributes.Add("onmouseover",
| "this.style.backgroundColor='white'")
| | End If
| | End Sub
| |
| |
| | > row. I am really not clear how to reference it.
| | >
| | > TIA,
| | >
| | > Steve Wofford
| | > www.IntraRELY.com

| |
| |
| |

Lewis Wang [MSFT]

Hi Steve,

Thank you for your reply.

Do you mean not to change the red color of the checked GridItem when the
mouse is over it? You may check the prior color of the GridItem before
changing its color.

The following is a snippet in datagrid.ItemDataBound. You may modify it to
meet your requirements.

if( e.Item.ItemType == ListItemType.Item || e.Item.ItemType
==ListItemType.AlternatingItem )
{

e.Item.Attributes.Add("onmouseover","if(this.style.backgroundColor!='red')th
is.style.backgroundColor='silver'");
e.Item.Attributes.Add("onmouseout",
"if(this.style.backgroundColor!='red')this.style.backgroundColor='white';");
}

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Lewis

--------------------
> [...]
| > }
| > }
| >

| > 2. Client side: using
| > "this.parentElement.parentElement.style.backgroundColor" to highlight
the
| > whole datagrid row. Here is a code snippet, you may modify it to meet
your
| > requirements.
| >
| > . .
| > <ItemTemplate>
| > <asp:CheckBox id="CheckBox1" runat="server"

onclick="if(this.parentElement.parentElement.style.backgroundColor!='red')th
| > is.parentElement.parentElement.style.backgroundColor='red';else

this.parentElement.parentElement.style.backgroundColor='white';"></asp:Check

| > . . .
| > </ItemTemplate>
| > . .
| >
| > Does this answer your question? Please let me know if you need more

| > |
| > | Best regards,
| > | Lewis
| > |
| > | This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
| > rights.
| > | --------------------
| > | |
| > | |
| > | |
| > | POSITION:
ByVal
| > _
| > | "this.style.backgroundColor='Silver'")
| > "this.style.backgroundColor='white'")
| > | |
ByVal
| > | As
| > "this.style.backgroundColor='red'")
| > | "this.style.backgroundColor='white'")
| > | |
| > | |
| > that

| > | |
| > | |
| > | |
| > |

IntraRELY

Lewis,

Wanted to thank you for you support...it was superb.

Have a wonderful Labor Day weekend.

Steve Wofford
www.IntraRELY.com

Lewis Wang said:
> [...]

| > }
| > }
| >

| > 2. Client side: using
| > "this.parentElement.parentElement.style.backgroundColor" to highlight
the
| > whole datagrid row. Here is a code snippet, you may modify it to meet
your
| > requirements.
| >
| > . .
| > <ItemTemplate>
| > <asp:CheckBox id="CheckBox1" runat="server"

onclick="if(this.parentElement.parentElement.style.backgroundColor!='red')th
| > is.parentElement.parentElement.style.backgroundColor='red';else

this.parentElement.parentElement.style.backgroundColor='white';"></asp:Check

| > . . .
| > </ItemTemplate>
| > . .
| >
| > Does this answer your question? Please let me know if you need more

| > |
| > | Best regards,
| > | Lewis
| > |
| > | This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
| > rights.
| > | --------------------
| > | |
| > | |
| > | |
| > | POSITION:
ByVal
| > _
| > | "this.style.backgroundColor='Silver'")
| > "this.style.backgroundColor='white'")
| > | |
ByVal
| > | As
| > "this.style.backgroundColor='red'")
| > | "this.style.backgroundColor='white'")
| > | |
| > | |
| > that

| > | |
| > | |
| > | |
| > |

Lewis Wang [MSFT]

Hi Steve,

I am glad to hear it. Thanks for using Microsoft Newsgroups.

Best regards,
Lewis

--------------------
| From: "IntraRELY" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: CheckBox Template Column
| Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 10:41:19 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.datagridcontrol
|
| Lewis,
|
| Wanted to thank you for you support...it was superb.
|
| Have a wonderful Labor Day weekend.
|
| Steve Wofford
| www.IntraRELY.com
|
| | > Hi Steve,
| >
| > Thank you for your reply.
| >
| > Do you mean not to change the red color of the checked GridItem when the
| > mouse is over it? You may check the prior color of the GridItem before
| > changing its color.
| >
| > The following is a snippet in datagrid.ItemDataBound. You may modify it
| > meet your requirements.
| >
| > if( e.Item.ItemType == ListItemType.Item || e.Item.ItemType
| > ==ListItemType.AlternatingItem )
| > {

e.Item.Attributes.Add("onmouseover","if(this.style.backgroundColor!='red')th
| > is.style.backgroundColor='silver'");
| > e.Item.Attributes.Add("onmouseout",

"if(this.style.backgroundColor!='red')this.style.backgroundColor='white';");
| > }
| >
| > Hope this helps.
| >
| > Best regards,
| > Lewis

| rights.
| >
| > --------------------
| > | From: "IntraRELY" <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: Re: CheckBox Template Column
| > | Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 10:37:11 -0700
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.datagridcontrol
| > | ever. Truely appreciated.
| > |
| > | The code below works great, but since I am using highlights for
| > onmouseover
| > | it is changing the checked rows background color. Remember I am
| > highlighting
| > | 2 differant events.
| > |
| > | 1. simple onmouseover
| > | 2. check rows
| > |
| > | How do I tell it to ignore rows that have a checked box? The code is
in
| > the
| > | original dgDepositories_ItemDataBound sub
| > |
| > | Thanks again,
| > |
| > | Steve Wofford
| > | www.IntraRELY.com
| > |

| code
| > | and

| the

| > System.EventArgs
| > | e)

| > the
| > your

| > |

onclick="if(this.parentElement.parentElement.style.backgroundColor!='red')th

| > |

this.parentElement.parentElement.style.backgroundColor='white';"></asp:Check

| > | rights.

microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.datagridcontrol
| > | > |
| > | > |
| microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.datagridcontrol
| > | > | |
| red
| red.
| > | You