CheckBoxList in DataList Question?

Patrick.O.Ige

I have a CheckBoxList in a DataList and i'm trying to get item Selected
after doing a postBack.
I have set my CheckBoxlist AutoPostBack="True"
Any ideas what 'm doing wrong?
It seems not to work:(
Thanks

My CheckBoxList in the DataList Below
<asp:checkboxlist id="checkboxlist1" Runat="server" AutoPostBack="True"
OnSelectedIndexChanged="Check_Clicked"></asp:checkboxlist>

The itemDataBound I created below:-
--------------------------------------

Public Sub Item_Created(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As
DataListItemEventArgs) Handles DataList1.ItemDataBound
If e.Item.ItemType = ListItemType.Item Or _
e.Item.ItemType = ListItemType.AlternatingItem
Then

Dim cblGroups As CheckBoxList =
CType(e.Item.FindControl("checkboxlist1"), CheckBoxList)

'This is where i added the Handler
AddHandler cblGroups.SelectedIndexChanged, AddressOf Check_Clicked

Dim DS As DataSet
Dim MyConnection As SqlConnection
Dim MyCommand As SqlDataAdapter

MyConnection = New
SqlConnection("server=(local);database=pubs;integrated security=true;")
MyCommand = New SqlDataAdapter("select TOP 5 * from Authors",
MyConnection)

DS = New DataSet
MyCommand.Fill(DS, "Authors")

MyConnection.Open()

If Not (cblGroups Is Nothing) Then
cblGroups.Visible = True
cblGroups.DataSource = DS
'cblGroups.DataMember = "Groups"
cblGroups.DataTextField = "au_lname"
cblGroups.DataValueField = "au_id"
cblGroups.DataBind()

End If
MyConnection.Dispose()
End If

End Sub

And here the event thats suppose to fire the CheckBoxList below
Sub Check_Clicked(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As EventArgs)
Dim i As Integer
For i = 0 To checkboxlist1.Items.Count - 1
If checkboxlist1.Items(i).Selected Then
Message.Text = Message.Text &
checkboxlist1.Items(i).Selected & "<br>"
Else
Message.Text = Message.Text & "false <br>"
End If

Next

End Sub

Jeremy S

You should familiarize youself with "event bubbling". You will likely need
to handle the CheckBoxList events via the DataList's ItemCommand event
procedure.

This link explains more - while not specifically for the CheckBoxList
control, the information provided will generalize to it.
http://authors.aspalliance.com/hmcheung/Articles/030331/Default.aspx

You can google this for more:
"asp.net" + "DataList" + "bubbling"

-HTH

Patrick.O.Ige

Jeremy thx for the reply.
But is doing this not enough by adding AddHandler in the ItemDataBound like
so:-
AddHandler cblGroups.SelectedIndexChanged, AddressOf
cblGroups_SelectedIndexChanged

Bcos i'm already DataBinding in the ItemDataBound.

My main question that i don't get is can i add the method
SelectedIndexChanged i have set in my checkboxllist to my

ItemDataBound by using the AddHandler?

And if not what would i have to set SelectedIndexChanged in my
DataList1_ItemDataBound and not in my CheckBoxlist.

Thanks