Chrome not displaying uploaded HTML and CSS code

Joined
Feb 15, 2021
Messages
99
Reaction score
0
Chrome not displaying uploaded HTML and CSS code

i use VS Code text editor

please see https://forallthetime.com/DEMO/index.html

in VS Code, the footer is flawless, FOOTER CONTENT is centered and has a larger font size

used FTP FileZilla to put up that page

footer is shifted to the left and not as large in chrome

i tried un-installing and re-installing chrome

i tried un-installing and re-installing FileZilla

i tried chrome incognito

i tried the above site in Firefox and its perfect

i tried Edge and it worked on 1 device, maybe not another

tried 2 computers, chrome, at my parents, no go

works fine on an Ipad!

and seems to display as it should on my Iphone

please help!

Joined
Mar 11, 2022
Messages
227
Reaction score
32
No differents on my chrome. I've compared with Firefox, Opera and IE. Same. Weird. Try to delete cache on your chrome or try this
Code:
<link rel="stylesheet" href="index.css?1234">
1234 is just a number to convince chrome, that is a new css file. If you do changes, of yourse the number should be different each time.

Maybe someday you will work with php, (index.php) instead of index.html. Than you may do this:
Code:
<link rel="stylesheet" href="index.css?<?php echo date('YmdHis');?>">

In both cases of course you should rename your file to a final name (without changing numbers anymore, because caching is important for live sites). But while developing you should be good with that.

BY THE WAY

Yes, caching can be struggling :)

Joined
Feb 15, 2021
Messages
99
Reaction score
0
BINGO!!!!!!!

>THANK YOU SO MUCH<

its working!

Code:
<link rel="stylesheet" href="index.css?1234">

any guess why this happened?

how much of my first million do i owe you?

Joined
Mar 11, 2022
Messages
227
Reaction score
32
Because of caching. Caching means, browsers store css and js files to a certain point. So on the next visit those files don't have to be loaded again. Good for users (faster load of a page), bad for developers who are still working on it.

So a ? followed by a number or even a string, kindof changes the file name and force the browser to load from source instead from cache. But remember, even "myfile.css?1234" can be cached and have to be changed also frequently.

Joined
Feb 15, 2021
Messages
99
Reaction score
0
Hello again,

please see https://forallthetime.com/DEMO/index.html

same issue :(

footer content is shifted to the left

firefox its fine

yes, i tried your prior advice

Code:
<link rel="stylesheet" href="index.css?9999" />

all footer content is shifted to the left

where is my problem?

seriously, i thank you!