Client-side cookies on Python in Mac OSX

Discussion in 'Python' started by Adrian Petrescu, Jul 13, 2007.

  1. Hi, all. I'm writing an app for OS X; therefore I'd prefer to use only
    the default python install that comes with Tiger. For the moment,
    however, this means:

    NaviOSX:~ adrianpetrescu$ python -V
    Python 2.3.5

    Therefore, I was not surprised to find out that cookielib did not
    exist here, since I knew that it was a 2.4+ feature.

    However, I *was* shocked to find out that ClientCookie, which I'd
    thought was a Python 2.0+ feature, also cannot be found:
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
    ImportError: No module named ClientCookie

    Why would Apple go out of their way to remove this functionality from
    their shipped version of Python? More importantly, considering I need
    to programatically access a website that uses cookies for
    authentication, how can I do this in OSX's Python install? Do they
    provide some other library they'd prefer you to use?

    I'm sure SOMEONE in the world has used cookies on Macs so I'm hoping
    there is a solution for this...

    Thanks in advance!
    -- Adrian Petrescu

    Adrian Petrescu, Jul 13, 2007

  2. They didn't remove it, it was never there in the first place.

    The ClientCookie site says 'Python 2.0 or above is required'. It
    doesn't say it is included with Python distributions. The package
    still has to be installed separately. See:

    http://wwwsearch.sourceforge.net/ClientCookie/

    Graham

    Graham Dumpleton, Jul 13, 2007

  3. Oh, you're right! Silly me, I had always thought it was standard.
    Thanks for pointing this out! I went and downloaded ClientCookie and
    it works great on OS X. And since it is BSD-licensed, I can use it in
    my app without any fear. Perfect.

    Thank you, Graham!

    Adrian Petrescu, Jul 13, 2007
  4. Adrian Petrescu

    John J. Lee Guest

    The relationship is that cookielib is derived from ClientCookie:
    essentially the same code, cleaned up to take advantage of newer
    Python features, renamed to 'cookielib' and added to the stdlib.

    The other difference is in thread synchronisation: ClientCookie had
    some broken thread synchronisation at one point, which was
    subsequently removed (which doesn't imply ClientCookie is not useful
    in threaded code). Though an unfortunate series of events the
    released cookielib ended up with that broken thread synchronisation
    code. It seems at least some of those thread synchronisation bugs in
    cookielib are fixed in the lastest version of Python.

    http://python.org/sf/1484758

    http://python.org/sf/1587139

    John

    John J. Lee, Jul 14, 2007