Closing a window

Todd Cary

I create a new window with

onClick="openBrWindow(\'claimant_pdf.php\',\'\',\'toolbar=no,status=yes,scrollbars=no,resizable=no\')"

as part of a submit button.

Now I would like to close the window in my php code if a line is
executed e.g. an echo statement. What syntax do I use to execute
window.close()?

Many thanks...

Todd

GArlington

I create a new window with

onClick="openBrWindow(\'claimant_pdf.php\',\'\',\'toolbar=no,status=yes,scrollbars=no,resizable=no\')"

as part of a submit button.

Now I would like to close the window in my php code if a line is
executed e.g. an echo statement.  What syntax do I use to execute
  window.close()?

Many thanks...

Todd

You can NOT close the window in your PHP code because... Please think
about it yourself...
You can close the window in Javascript if you know window's name - the
second parameter in your window.open code that is currently empty -
give it some name (preferably unique, but repeatable - so do NOT use
UUID) and use that name to address and close the window...

Nick S

I create a new window with

onClick="openBrWindow(\'claimant_pdf.php\',\'\',\'toolbar=no,status=yes,scrollbars=no,resizable=no\')"

as part of a submit button.

Now I would like to close the window in my php code if a line is
executed e.g. an echo statement. What syntax do I use to execute
window.close()?

Many thanks...

Todd

While Garlington is correct in a very literal sense, if you echo out
window.close(theWindow) you will be able to close the window if you
open it with

onClick="var theWindow = openBrWindow(\'claimant_pdf.php\',\'\',
\'toolbar=no,status=yes,scrollbars=no,resizable=no\')"

(I think) :) I've not tested it as I'm not at my PC :)

Todd Cary

GArlington said:
You can NOT close the window in your PHP code because... Please think
about it yourself...
You can close the window in Javascript if you know window's name - the
second parameter in your window.open code that is currently empty -
give it some name (preferably unique, but repeatable - so do NOT use
UUID) and use that name to address and close the window...

Point well taken. So if I had

onClick="openBrWindow(\'claimant_pdf.php\',\'PrintWin\',\'toolbar=no,status=yes,scrollbars=no,resizable=no\')"

what would the syntax be to PrintWin.close()? What would I echo
to execute the JavaScript?

Many thanks
Todd

Nick S

Point well taken. So if I had

onClick="openBrWindow(\'claimant_pdf.php\',\'PrintWin\',\'toolbar=no,status=yes,scrollbars=no,resizable=no\')"

what would the syntax be to PrintWin.close()? What would I echo
to execute the JavaScript?

Many thanks
Todd

Is the code that closes the window going to be in the opened window or
the calling window?

Todd Cary

Nick said:
Is the code that closes the window going to be in the opened window or
the calling window?

It will be in the Opened Window. If an error is created, the
code takes the user to the error window, so now it is leaving
behind an opened window.

Usually the user closes the window....

Todd

SAM

Todd Cary a écrit :
It will be in the Opened Window.

So, no difficulty :

<?php
if(error) {
echo "<script type='text/javascript'>self.close();</script>";
}
?>

No importance if a new page has been opened in the same popup,
this popup yet knows it has been opened by Javascript and will accept to
be closed by JS
If an error is created, the code takes the user to the error window,

You mean your popup open a new one more ?

If it is to close the precedent popup why not to open the error's page
in same popup ?
so now it is leaving behind an opened window.

in the daughter of the daughter, to close hers mother :

window.onload = function() {
var ancestor = opener.opener;
opener.close();
opener = ancestor; // the grand mother