Code highlighting on Eclipse (how to turn it on/off?)

Ramon F Herrera

I am pleasantly to see how intuitive Eclipse is. Even thrilled.
Frankly, I expected the learning curve to be steeper (like Java's).

The one thing that bothered me is that when I double clicked on a word
(say, a variable) all the variables would also highlight (and there's
some very useful markers on the right edge). All this is nice and
dandy, except that there was no way to turn it off. I use to double
click on something like 'main' in order to reduce the distracting
highlighting all over my screen. I can't work when my screen looks as
a Christmas tree.

"Be careful of what you wish, because it may come true".

Now, it seems that Eclipse read my mind, and its feelings are hurt for
me being such an ingrate. The highlighting is entirely gone. Maybe I
am using a different editor now?

This is the one Eclipse feature which is not obvious...

-Ramon

RedGrittyBrick

Ramon said:
[...]

In the toolbar is a button with an icon that looks like the nib of a
yellow highlighter. The tooltip says "Toggle Mark Occurrences".

Or, right click in editor background, choose "preferences" and navigate
to Java, Editor, Mark Occurrences.

Ramon F Herrera

I have to learn not to post before the caffeine kicks in.

Let's try again...

I am pleasantly surprised to see how intuitive Eclipse is. Even
thrilled. Frankly, I expected the learning curve to be steeper (like
Java's).

The one thing that bothered me early on is that when I double clicked
on a word (say, a variable) all the same variables would also
highlight (and there are some very useful markers along the right
edge). All this is nice and dandy, except that there was no way to
turn it off. My evasive maneuver was to double click on something like
'main' in order to reduce the distracting highlighting all over my
screen. I can't work when my screen looks as a Christmas tree.

"Be careful with what you wish, because it may come true".

Now, it seems that Eclipse read my mind, and its feelings are hurt for
me being such an ingrate. Like any self-respecting Catholic or Jewish
mother, Eclipse is giving me the guilt treatment. The highlighting is
entirely gone. Maybe I am using a different editor now?

This is the one Eclipse feature which is not obvious...

-Ramon

Daniel Pitts

Ramon said:
I have to learn not to post before the caffeine kicks in.
FYI, there is a feature on usenet called Cancel. It won't prevent
everyone from seeing your post, but it'll prevent a lot of people from
seeing it.

Lew

Daniel said:
FYI, there is a feature on usenet called Cancel. It won't prevent
everyone from seeing your post, but it'll prevent a lot of people from
seeing it.

Not always. I just had a post today that I canceled not vanish within three
hours, even though I canceled it about 30 secs. after posting. Naturally,
someone answered it, and quoted me, thus preserving my mistake for all posterity.

Now if only I could stop making mistakes ...

umacts

In the toolbar is a button with an icon that looks like the nib of a
yellow highlighter. The tooltip says "Toggle Mark Occurrences".

Or, right click in editor background, choose "preferences" and navigate
to Java, Editor, Mark Occurrences.- Hide quoted text -

Thank you for the input. I was searching for this... I knew it was
there, but could not find it until now...