codecs - where are those on windows?

GHUM

I stumbled apon a paragraph in python-dev about "reducing the size of
Python" for an embedded device:

"""
In my experience, the biggest gain can be obtained by dropping the
rarely-used
CJK codecs (for Asian languages). That should sum up to almost 800K
(uncompressed), IIRC.
"""

So, my question is: on Windows. where are those CJK codecs? Are they by
any chance included in the 1.867.776 bytes of python24.dll ?

Best wishes,

Harald

Paul Watson

GHUM said:
I stumbled apon a paragraph in python-dev about "reducing the size of
Python" for an embedded device:

"""
In my experience, the biggest gain can be obtained by dropping the
rarely-used
CJK codecs (for Asian languages). That should sum up to almost 800K
(uncompressed), IIRC.
"""

So, my question is: on Windows. where are those CJK codecs? Are they by
any chance included in the 1.867.776 bytes of python24.dll ?

Best wishes,

Harald

If your installation directory is C:\Python25, then look in

C:\Python25\lib\encodings

Fredrik Lundh

Paul said:
If your installation directory is C:\Python25, then look in

C:\Python25\lib\encodings

that's only the glue code. the actual data sets are provided by a bunch
of built-in modules:
('__builtin__', '__main__', '_ast', '_bisect', '_codecs',
'_codecs_cn', '_codecs_hk', '_codecs_iso2022', '_codecs_jp',
'_codecs_kr', '_codecs_tw', ...

</F>

GHUM

Fredrik said:
that's only the glue code. the actual data sets are provided by a bunch
of built-in modules:
('__builtin__', '__main__', '_ast', '_bisect', '_codecs',
'_codecs_cn', '_codecs_hk', '_codecs_iso2022', '_codecs_jp',
'_codecs_kr', '_codecs_tw', ...

So, it should be possible to do a custom build of python24.dll /
python25.dll without some of those codecs, resulting in a smaller
python24.dll ?

It will be some time untill my apps must support Chinese and
Japanese...

Harald