Codefest Grant - RubyGems cleanup and enhancement

James Edward Gray II

Part of this can be resolved by the ability to list different Gem
sources.
This source (identified by URL) contains stable packages and that
source
(a different URL) containts unstable packages. Gems can manage
different
sources today, although the interface is primitive. The gems team is
thinking about how to make this more flexible (e.g. get gems from this
source, unless its not available, then get them from that source).
This is
certainly something that the Seattle team could work on if they decided
to.

While I'm on a roll with questions that could get me in trouble (again,
I mean no offense): Was the RubyGems team aware of this Codefest
project before it was accepted? Will any RubyGems members be at the
actual event?

Just curious. Thanks.

James Edward Gray II

vruz

This is not meant as an attack.

of course not
I'm asking an honest question,
hopefully of the RPA developers. Is the RPA still under active
development? It seems to have slipped off the public radar. (Or
perhaps it's just my radar.)

yes it's still alive, though Mauricio and others have had holidays and
daytime work, we'll be in full steam again soon.

discussions, coordination and all that's rpa-related happens in #RPA
on irc.freenode.net

cheers,
vruz

Eric Hodel

--Apple-Mail-16--603400834

While I'm on a roll with questions that could get me in trouble
(again, I mean no offense): Was the RubyGems team aware of this
Codefest project before it was accepted?
Yes

Will any RubyGems members be at the actual event?

They're more than welcome, but I can't speak for their plans.

--
Eric Hodel - (e-mail address removed) - http://segment7.net
FEC2 57F1 D465 EB15 5D6E 7C11 332A 551C 796C 9F04

--Apple-Mail-16--603400834
name=PGP.sig
content-transfer-encoding: 7bit

--Apple-Mail-16--603400834--

Jim Weirich

Yes, and we whole-heartingly approve!
They're more than welcome, but I can't speak for their plans.

Heh, I doubt I will be able to be there. But depending on when the event is,
I plan on making myself available online as much as possible.

Ryan Davis

They're more than welcome, but I can't speak for their plans.

Chad has hinted that he may be able to show... as for actual
specifics... we don't even have a date yet. We will gladly take his
schedule into consideration when coming up with tentative dates.

Mauricio Fernández

This is not meant as an attack. I'm asking an honest question,
hopefully of the RPA developers. Is the RPA still under active
development? It seems to have slipped off the public radar. (Or
perhaps it's just my radar.)

The port/package manager (rpa-base) and the incipient infrastructure
(repository, VCS, wiki) are unsatisfactory under our (admittedly severe)
criteria. They will undergo major restructuring.
Had they been deemed adequate, RPA would have been proposed for
widespread public consumption long ago, but it was in a testing phase
for a reason.

As for

eric> Combining RPA and Gems is probably not going to be done during our
eric> Codefest.

and

ben> Is there any chance you could start this process a little bit? Choose
ben> some of the main features of RPA that are missing from RubyGems and find
ben> a way of integrating them?

Comparing RubyGems to RPA is akin to assimilating rpm to FreeBSD. It
doesn't really make that much sense. I understand that you mean one of
(1) RubyGems (the installer) could take some features from rpa-base
(2) RubyGems (the project) could grow in scope and try to reach some of
the goals expressed by RPA (making it a sort of RPAlite?)

Regarding (1), some things like proper DATADIR support, installation
into sitelibdir, transparent operation, compatibility with native tools,
etc. are hardly doable in RubyGems due to some fundamental implementation
choices.

As for (2), it is hard to tell which are exactly RubyGems' goals because
AFAIK there is no public manifesto comparable to
http://rpa-base.rubyforge.org/wiki/wiki.cgi?RpaManifesto

I would really appreciate if Chad, Jim, Gavin, ..., clarified the
situation. Especially since there have been some talks as of late about
RubyGems replacing RAA altogether, RubyGems being the only repository
for Ruby software, etc.

I'm looking forward to the results of this codefest. Happy hacking to
the Seattle.rb brigade :) I'm very interested in the outcome of that
event, for I don't really know how effective codefests can be in
practice. Since I know the problem space ((re)packaging) and the
concerned codebase (RubyGems) fairly well, I hope I'll be able to draw
some conclusions.

Austin Ziegler

Comparing RubyGems to RPA is akin to assimilating rpm to FreeBSD.
It doesn't really make that much sense. I understand that you mean
one of (1) RubyGems (the installer) could take some features from
rpa-base (2) RubyGems (the project) could grow in scope and try to
reach some of the goals expressed by RPA (making it a sort of
RPAlite?)
Regarding (1), some things like proper DATADIR support,
installation into sitelibdir, transparent operation, compatibility
with native tools, etc. are hardly doable in RubyGems due to some
fundamental implementation choices.

Sorry, Mauricio, but I disagree. Nothing about RubyGems *prevents*
any of the above. Nothing. The gemspec can be translated into
"native" tools, and the RPA-base layer could be implemented on top
of RubyGems as a platform (e.g., making the sitelibdir and DATADIR
support work), and since Matz seems to have indicated that RubyGems
will become part of the core when it's ready, then it will work
transparently.

I have further indicated in several places how RPA "version-sets"
could be done with RubyGems -- and the latest version of RubyGems
appears to include something that supports this, although it does
require some additional code at the moment.
As for (2), it is hard to tell which are exactly RubyGems' goals
because AFAIK there is no public manifesto comparable to
http://rpa-base.rubyforge.org/wiki/wiki.cgi?RpaManifesto

Again, this isn't really true. There isn't anything currently
available aside from the project description:

RubyGems is the Ruby standard for publishing and managing third
party libraries.

It is *intended* to be the Ruby standard for publishing and managing
third party libraries, certainly. Much as there's a standard layout
and Makefile form for Perl that makes things Just Work, so RubyGems
is intended to be, while solving certain real problems.
I would really appreciate if Chad, Jim, Gavin, ..., clarified the
situation. Especially since there have been some talks as of late
about RubyGems replacing RAA altogether, RubyGems being the only
repository for Ruby software, etc.

Um. No. RAA isn't going away. That HAS been made very clear.
RubyGems may become the preferred way of packaging projects, with a
RubyGems site and/or RubyForge becoming a preferred location for
distribution -- but not precluding alternative distribution sites.

-austin

vruz

Matz seems to have indicated that RubyGems
will become part of the core when it's ready, then it will work
transparently.

This ISN'T true. And I quote matz here:

"I think there's need for both a packaging "system" and a package
repository. I wish for a sound cooperation of the former (rubygems?)
and the latter (rpa?). I'd happy to merge the packaging system (with
which both teams can agree) in the standard Ruby."

Edited for easy reading: (uppercase are RFC-style emphasis, not
irc-style yelling)

"I wish for a sound cooperation of RubyGems and RPA.
I'd be happy to merge the packaging system (with which BOTH TEAMS CAN
AGREE) in the standard Ruby"

Those who want to read carefully without skipping words will understand:

Matz HAS NOT indicated RubyGems will become part of the core.

Matz HAS indicated BOTH TEAMS will have to agree before ANYTHING gets
in the standard Ruby.

Another flawed misconception:
The language has to be modified to accomodate packaging

No decent programming language I have seen on earth has had to be
modified in order to accomodate a packaging system, (whether RPA or
Rubygems is beyond the point) which is ultimately an application level
concern.

Ideally, the Ruby implementation by Matz COULD, (but doesn't
necessarily HAVE TO) implement the needed feature as an extension to
the readily available 'require' statement.

The consequences of something like a pervasive require_gem as part of
the standard could stay with us for too many years to come. Think of
Ruby compilers dealing with that.

Finally as Matz has clearly said:

"I wish for a sound COOPERATION of RubyGems and RPA."

This doesn't mean RubyGems has to absorb RPA, nor RPA absorb RubyGems,
nor any of the other misconceptions that have been widely advertised.
Much less the horrible thought of butchering either project, as
someone has cluelessly said in previous threads.
(something clearly neither the RubyGems team nor the RPA team want)

from the dictionary:

TO COOPERATE:

Mauricio Fernández

[I write this reluctantly, such a déjà vu]

Sorry, Mauricio, but I disagree. Nothing about RubyGems *prevents*
any of the above. Nothing.

It makes these things more difficult ("hardly doable", maybe I should
have phrased it as "hard to do"), to the point that we would have to
work around some of RubyGems' limitations, relative to the problem we
are trying to solve. This is one of the reasons why there's no net gain
for us in using RubyGems.

I must say that I do not really understand why so much pressure is put
on us to dump a custom-made tool, crafted to suit our needs, which does
not compete against RubyGems, in favor of the latter. In global terms,
the existence of rpa-base is positive for RubyGems to the extend that
the latter has reused code from the former.

I don't know why the very existence of RPA's technology, which is not
being imposed on anyone, and is there to fit a particular role, must be
constantly justified. There are reasons to have it; the code works for
us and will work better.
The gemspec can be translated into "native" tools, and the RPA-base
layer could be implemented on top of RubyGems as a platform (e.g.,
making the sitelibdir and DATADIR support work)

That would involve bypassing the services provided by the RubyGems
sublayer and operating directly on the destination FS. The primitives
offered by RubyGems are not sufficient. It wouldn't make that much sense
to have the fundamental operations performed by such a rpa-base layer
far exceed those offered by the "platform" the latter is built on.

As for the conversion of the gemspec, note that this requires access
to the pristine sources. The gemification process is not idempotent,
which is quite unfortunate since RubyGems is meant to be the standard
*upstream* format. Besides, RubyGems packages cannot be converted into
satisfactory native packages in general; there's too much variance and
the modifications upstream has to do to make software work with RubyGems
get in the way.
and since Matz seems to have indicated that RubyGems
will become part of the core when it's ready, then it will work
transparently.

Some things (DATADIR, etc) wouldn't work transparently as of today even
if RubyGems were integrated into the std. library.

AFAIK matz's latest take on this is

I'd happy to merge the packaging system (with
which both teams can agree) in the standard Ruby.

That's fine; maybe some of our ideas can help make RubyGems better.

But what gets into the standard library is not really relevant for the
issue being discussed. I think it is not excessive to claim the right
to use the best tool for the goals we have decided to strive for.
Not surprisingly, we think that the best tool can be one designed
specifically to satisfy those needs.

The alternative would be pestering the RubyGems team until RubyGems
does things the way RPA needs them done. I believe that wouldn't be any
better, and I think most people would agree.
I have further indicated in several places how RPA "version-sets"
could be done with RubyGems -- and the latest version of RubyGems
appears to include something that supports this, although it does
require some additional code at the moment.

I had that idea ~ 1 year ago (it was considered while evaluating
RubyGems, before the development of rpa-base began) but rejected it
because several problems would still remain.
Again, this isn't really true. There isn't anything currently
available aside from the project description:

RubyGems is the Ruby standard for publishing and managing third
party libraries.

How is that equivalent to a manifesto? :)
Um. No. RAA isn't going away. That HAS been made very clear.
RubyGems may become the preferred way of packaging projects, with a
RubyGems site and/or RubyForge becoming a preferred location for
distribution -- but not precluding alternative distribution sites.

Austin, I know RubyGems quite well, better than most of its users actually
(better than some of the developers too, there's more code of mine in
RubyGems after all hehe :). *I* know that RAA is not going away.

But I think the RubyGems team could prevent further pointless discussion
in ruby-talk by specifying their goals in something comparable to the RPA
manifesto (which the above one-sentence description is *not*).

The talks about RubyGems replacing RAA, etc, didn't originate in the
RubyGems team but rather in groups of users. So it's up to the RubyGems
team to make sure that people understand what RubyGems is and what it is
not meant to be.

I'm asking them to write a manifesto so we have something to point at
instead of having to write lengthy explanations on ruby-talk every time
somebody starts such a "RubyGems vs RPA" or "Combining RubyGems and RPA"
or "Dump RAA, use Rubyforge, dump RPA, use RubyGems" thread.

Jim Weirich

Vincent Foley said:
On top of my head, I can think of a few things:

1) Having a command to remove all, but the most recent version of
installed gems (I had to clean up about 10 versions of Rails,
ActiveRecord and ActionPack the other day)

gem cleanup (http://docs.rubygems.org/read/chapter/10#page77)
2) Having a "show" command, where there would be a detailed explanation
of what a particular gem does ("search" could also search that
description), a URL, an author email, etc.

gem spec will show the gem specification, which contains all the metadata
we have on a gem. But the output isn't pretty. Some command to give that
information in a "pretty" format would be nice.
3) Already mentionned by Gabriele, a cute progress bar (using
progressbar available in RubyGems)

If so, should be tied into the generic Gems UI protocol(not a hard problem).

Ben Giddings

Hi Mauricio,

I'm not sure I completely understand the analogy comparing RubyGems and
RPA to rpm vs. FreeBSD. I understand the basics however. RPA doesn't
care too much about the package format, it's more focused on the
process, and making sure that there are consistent, documented libraries
that are production-ready (that's what your manifesto says anyhow).
This is like how the FreeBSD ports system works (or so I understand).
The packages are audited, repositories are maintained, etc. RubyGems on
the other hand *seems* to be an attempt to create a package format, a
repository and a basic package manager, with new features added as they
become necessary. This is like the rpm package format and the rpm
commandline tool. On the other hand, there's no attempt made to see if
a given foo.rpm is any good.

There are certainly areas of overlap -- the package management tool, the
repository, and the specific packaging requirements. These are the
things that an end-user would interact with. Given that, it's
completely understandable that people see them as competing projects.
It just seems like RPA has a lot more depth in what it's trying to achieve.

I think the reason that RubyGems has a bigger "head of steam" is that
it's easier for people to wrap their heads around it. All you have to
do is convert your package to a Gem and get it in the repository. For
RPA there seems to be a much higher barrier to entry, and (speaking as a
developer) I don't exactly understand what I need to do.

I may be wrong, but it seems to me that there's something missing from
*both* projects: stable vs. unstable.

In RPA it seems like *everything* is stable. That's good, but it's also
limiting. I haven't used FreeBSD but I use Gentoo and Debian, and
although the "stable" branches of both of those distributions are full
of qualified, stable packages, they also have an unstable area, where
the packages are in the appropriate format, but other than that, no real
checking is done. I don't know about other people, but if I could only
use the stable packages, I'd have a lot of trouble.

RubyGems is almost the opposite. In RubyGems *nothing* is stable,
because there is no concept of stability. As DHH mentioned, you can use
different gem repository URLs to have stable vs. unstable gems, however
that's not a real solution. Once a gem is installed, as far as I know
the system has no way of knowing whether it was tagged as stable or
unstable. As far as I know, you can't track the 'stable' and 'unstable'
gems separately.

The more I understand about RPA, the more useful I think it could be. I
regret not understanding it better before. If the RPA and RubyGems
efforts were combined, I could see RPA adding features to support
RubyGems... but at this point I don't see how the opposite would work.
It seems that because RubyGems was never planned as a system with
audited packages, guaranteed-good documentation, multiple package
formats, etc. it would be really hard to modify it to include those things.

It is much easier for me to see RPA being able to deliver packages to
various distributions as .debs .rpms .tar.gzs, ebuilds and even gems. I
think that's a really important feature of a packaging system.

So here's a question for you:

As I understand it, RubyGems is:

1) a package format
2) a repository
3) a package management tool

and essentially

4) a relatively easy way for developers to throw together a possibly
unstable, but possibly really useful library and put it somewhere where
people can get to it

RPA has all of the above except number 4, I believe. Could RPA also
provide that?

Ben

Chad Fowler

[I write this reluctantly, such a déjà vu]

With the same reluctance....
I must say that I do not really understand why so much pressure is put
on us to dump a custom-made tool, crafted to suit our needs, which does
not compete against RubyGems, in favor of the latter.

Agreed. I don't care if you dump rpa-base or keep it at this point.
There's a lot of mailing list noise about it, but other than that
there is no real negative effect of having the two formats.
AFAIK matz's latest take on this is

I'd happy to merge the packaging system (with
which both teams can agree) in the standard Ruby.

That's fine; maybe some of our ideas can help make RubyGems better.

They already have. But it seems to me that Matz feels we need to
converge on a common format (between RubyGems and RPA). We don't. I
propose that we already "agree" to the necessary level. We have
totally different goals, with some confusing implementation overlap.
How is that equivalent to a manifesto? :)

I refuse to ever write anything called a "manifesto", nor do I think
there are many people confused by the fact we haven't written one.
Here's the purpose of RubyGems (my take on it):

RubyGems is:
1. A package format for Ruby libraries and applications.
2. A system for managing installation of such packages from both local
and remote sources.
3. A "master source"/repository for such packages.
4. Intended to be Ruby's standard for package creation and distribution.

Ask more questions if you need more clarification, and I'll add
another bullet point or two.
The talks about RubyGems replacing RAA, etc, didn't originate in the
RubyGems team but rather in groups of users. So it's up to the RubyGems
team to make sure that people understand what RubyGems is and what it is
not meant to be.

People will talk. That's always the case. There are always going to
be people coming into ruby-talk and trying to make various aspects of
our community and technologies into something they are not. Everyone
has an opinion, and talk is cheap. For example, Ruby isn't statically
typed, and no matter how much conversation goes on about this, people
still bring it up.

Let's see if we can let this thread die.

--

Chad Fowler
http://chadfowler.com

Ryan Davis

Lemme clarify a bit more.

Everyone STFU about RPA vs Gems. It is completely and 100% OT to this
thread. We were mining for data and you guys introduced pure noise.

Just for total clarity, here is the original email:
Seattle.rb will be hosting a RubyGems cleanup and enhancement codefest!

We would like to solicit your ideas on what you want to see cleaned up
or enhanced in RubyGems.

For our Codefest we do not plan on making large changes to the way
RubyGems works. One thing we would like to focus on is making the gem
command more friendly when you hit ^C, for example.

Combining RPA and Gems is probably not going to be done during our
Codefest.

We'd like to show up w/ a prioritized list of things we'd like to do
and maybe even some already failing unit tests so we can be on task
from the very beginning. Instead, we are weeding through a bunch of
dogmatic crap that we didn't ask for and are not much closer to having
said list. I've flagged a couple of email for ideas, but they are a
vast minority thus-far.

P.S. That goes for writing a whole GUI frontend as well. We are meeting
for ONE WEEKEND.

vruz

Everyone STFU about RPA vs Gems. It is completely and 100% OT to this
thread. We were mining for data and you guys introduced pure noise.

Is STFU an acronym for yet another packaging system ?

Richard Lyman

Lemme clarify a bit more.

Everyone STFU about RPA vs Gems. It is completely and 100% OT to this
thread. We were mining for data and you guys introduced pure noise.

Just for total clarity, here is the original email:

We'd like to show up w/ a prioritized list of things we'd like to do
and maybe even some already failing unit tests so we can be on task
from the very beginning. Instead, we are weeding through a bunch of
dogmatic crap that we didn't ask for and are not much closer to having
said list. I've flagged a couple of email for ideas, but they are a
vast minority thus-far.

P.S. That goes for writing a whole GUI frontend as well. We are meeting
for ONE WEEKEND.

I'm confused. _What_ goes for writing a whole GUI frontend?

You're going to write a frontend for 'gems'? The _first_ release
should be entirely possible in one weekend with a couple of good
developers.

I'm curious so that I know if I should bother to start thinking about
it on my own or not...

... on the other hand...

If you're telling me to STFU about discussing the fact that I think a
GUI for the whole 'gems' concept would be an enhancement (since you
asked for our ideas on possible enhancements), then I'm really
confused...

I guess I just think that STFU is pretty harsh for a list like
'ruby-talk'... and as a possible point of interest: I personally
decided to try and live without RPA since one of the 'developers' had
such bad PR. I'd really hate to see 'gems' go the same route.

Thanks for contributing! I hope I can contribute too.

-Rich

Lyle Johnson

If you're telling me to STFU about discussing the fact that I think a
GUI for the whole 'gems' concept would be an enhancement (since you
asked for our ideas on possible enhancements), then I'm really
confused...

I think Ryan is just asking everyone, in his own sweet way, to "STFU"
about comparisons between RPA and RubyGems because *that* discussion
is completely off-topic for the originally stated purpose of *this*
thread (namely, Eric's question: "What you want to see cleaned up or
enhanced in RubyGems?").

I don't believe that anyone is opposed to the development of a GUI
front-end to RubyGems, but it may be (in Ryan's estimation) too large
of a project for the guys to try to tackle in one weekend, considering
all of the other possible "cleanups" that likely need to be done.

Ben Giddings

Hi Mauricio (and others too),

I know there are a lot of people who don't want to talk about RPA and
RubyGems, perhaps you included. Matz does seem to feel that there is
some benefit in combining the two, and I happen to agree. On the other
hand, they aren't my projects, and I don't even fully understand them.
Although they are different in a lot of ways, they do share enough that
it seems there is an unnecessary duplication of effort. I think it
would be really helpful if we could clear up some points that still
confuse people about the two projects.

If you'd prefer not to talk about it, please feel free to tell me to
STFU (though nicer language would of course be appreciated). If not,
please read on.

[...]

So here's a question for the RPA developers:

As I understand it, RubyGems is:

1) a package format
2) a repository
3) a package management tool

and essentially

4) a relatively easy way for developers to throw together a possibly
unstable, but possibly really useful library and put it somewhere where
people can get to it

I think that's a great service, and something that was desperately
needed. Before RubyGems there were no common repositories, no common
package formats, no easy tools for installing them, etc. It's really
cool that there are now ways of installing programs via gems, and it
looks like the RubyGems people are really responsive to feature
requests, and are constantly trying to improve their offering. On the
other hand, some of the RPA goals (audited packages, documentation, a
good upstream format, etc.) seem to be things that are not major
concerns to the RubyGems developers.

I believe RPA has all of the above except number 4. As I've said, it
also seems to have a lot more besides. Could RPA also provide that?

I'm all for using the best tool for the job, but somebody had a tool to
hammer nails into wood, and somebody else had a tool to remove nails
from wood. Wouldn't it be amazing if those two tools could be combined
into one uber-tool?

http://www.dot.state.ia.us/natmodel/images/hammer.gif

Ben

P.S. if you've seen this message before, sorry. I sent it out this
morning but it didn't seem to arrive on the list.