Coding for Windows and Linux

Alex

Hi,

About 5 months ago I changed professions and moved from being a web
programmer (ColdFusion mainly) to a Visual Basic.Net app coder, and
though this is my first time to do application coding in a decade or
more, I'm loving it! It's also my first time to really use OOP, which
I'm slowly but surely getting the hang of.

Though I've started coding in VB during the day, my home systems are
all Linux. If I wanted to start developing apps for both Linux and
Windows, I assume C++ is the best choice. So a number of questions
related to this:

1) I assume code can not be copied verbatim between GCC and VC++, but
just how compatible are they?
2) For GCC under Linux I know I'll need a graphical toolkit/framework
like tkl/tk or QT, but do these port to Windows?
3) Are there any open source apps anyone can direct me to that do
this? I'd love to peak under the hood.

Thanks --

Alex

Ron AF Greve

Hi,

Alex said:
Hi,

About 5 months ago I changed professions and moved from being a web
programmer (ColdFusion mainly) to a Visual Basic.Net app coder, and
though this is my first time to do application coding in a decade or
more, I'm loving it! It's also my first time to really use OOP, which
I'm slowly but surely getting the hang of.

Though I've started coding in VB during the day, my home systems are
all Linux. If I wanted to start developing apps for both Linux and
Windows, I assume C++ is the best choice. So a number of questions
related to this:

1) I assume code can not be copied verbatim between GCC and VC++, but
just how compatible are they?
As long as you stick to pure C++ they are very compatible. I keep a library
of functions around using sockets, archives, png wrapper etc. that I can
compile on linux/unix as well as on microsoft. Most unix/linux function
calls are also available on MS-Windows.
2) For GCC under Linux I know I'll need a graphical toolkit/framework
like tkl/tk or QT, but do these port to Windows?
I never wrote graphical stuff that was supposed to work on MS-Windows and
X-Windows (I did however wrote things in Motiff and lots of things in
MS-Windows (it is pretty UNportable :-( ).

You might want to look at
http://www.wxwindows.org/
3) Are there any open source apps anyone can direct me to that do
this? I'd love to peak under the hood.
gtk (gimp toolkit) seems to provide a layer that can be used on both. You
might want to look at gimp (a great free photo manipulating program).

http://developer.gimp.org/

Thanks --

Alex

Regards, Ron AF Greve

http://www.InformationSuperHighway.eu

Default User

Alex wrote:

1) I assume code can not be copied verbatim between GCC and VC++, but
just how compatible are they?

What do you mean by "code". The topic of this group is ISO standard
C++. Code written in standard C++ should compile under both, barring
compiler deficencies (older versions don't always implement the
standard correctly).
2) For GCC under Linux I know I'll need a graphical toolkit/framework
like tkl/tk or QT, but do these port to Windows?

Not topical for this group. Discuss this in a newsgroup dealing with
your target system.

I recommend reading the newsgroup FAQ, especially the "how to post"
section.

Brian

Kenneth Porter

Not topical for this group. Discuss this in a newsgroup dealing with
your target system.

Is there a newsgroup for "portable frameworks", that covers things like Qt
and wxWidgets and perhaps similar libraries for other languages? I don't
know of any. I think you have to know ahead of time which language and
framework you're going to use ahead of time, and then go find support for
the specific one.

Erik Wikström

Hi,

About 5 months ago I changed professions and moved from being a web
programmer (ColdFusion mainly) to a Visual Basic.Net app coder, and
though this is my first time to do application coding in a decade or
more, I'm loving it! It's also my first time to really use OOP, which
I'm slowly but surely getting the hang of.

Though I've started coding in VB during the day, my home systems are
all Linux. If I wanted to start developing apps for both Linux and
Windows, I assume C++ is the best choice. So a number of questions
related to this:

1) I assume code can not be copied verbatim between GCC and VC++, but
just how compatible are they?

As portable as the code you write, if you do not do anything platform
specific in your code you should be able to just copy, compile, and run.
2) For GCC under Linux I know I'll need a graphical toolkit/framework
like tkl/tk or QT, but do these port to Windows?

Do not know about tkl/tk, but Qt works find on both, as does wxWidgets.

Alex

Alexwrote:

What do you mean by "code". The topic of this group is ISO standard
C++. Code written in standard C++ should compile under both, barring
compiler deficencies (older versions don't always implement the
standard correctly).

Not topical for this group. Discuss this in a newsgroup dealing with
your target system.

I recommend reading the newsgroup FAQ, especially the "how to post"
section.

Brian

Hi Brian,

My apologies... I did read the FAQ before posting, and I thought my
post was within the scope of this group. If not, I stand corrected.
I assumed those in microsoft.public.vc.language would be familiar with
only VC++ and gnu.gcc seems to not be very active now'days.
comp.lang.c++ came-up most often when searching for comparisons, but I
never saw my specific question, which prompted the post.

Thanks for all the help to everyone who applied... I will probably
start reading-up on wxWigits and Qt.

Alex