Commands for C++

Mike

Hi I am new to programming and was wondering if there was a website
that has a list of commands and what they do. I want to write a
program that will download certain types of files off the web (from a
certain website) but I am not sure how to do this.

WW

Mike said:
Hi I am new to programming and was wondering if there was a website
that has a list of commands and what they do. I want to write a
program that will download certain types of files off the web (from a
certain website) but I am not sure how to do this.

The C++ language has no commands. And it is not particularly suitable for
the thing you want to do. There is a tool called wget and several others,
which do just what you want. I am afraid you would need to learn just too
much from C++ to do what you want to do. But other, easier to learn,
languages like Python, Perl etc. might give you just want you want, out of
the box.

Peter van Merkerk

WW said:
The C++ language has no commands. And it is not particularly suitable for
the thing you want to do. There is a tool called wget and several others,
which do just what you want. I am afraid you would need to learn just too
much from C++ to do what you want to do. But other, easier to learn,
languages like Python, Perl etc. might give you just want you want, out of
the box.

As far as Python is concerned; it has everything that Mike needs out of the
box.

Noah Roberts

Mike said:
Hi I am new to programming and was wondering if there was a website
that has a list of commands and what they do. I want to write a
program that will download certain types of files off the web (from a
certain website) but I am not sure how to do this.

As someone else has stated, the program to do this already exist.
However if you wanted to reinvent the wheel, per say, you will need to
learn the standard C++ API (not commands) as well as the networking API
of the system you are targeting. This could be winsock for windows or
sockets for Unix.

This will get you started:
http://www.litho.ucalgary.ca/opt/SPRO/stdlib/

But I suggest you find a C++ tutorial as well.

NR

jeffc

Noah Roberts said:
As someone else has stated, the program to do this already exist.
However if you wanted to reinvent the wheel, per say

per se? I think you meant "so to speak" :)