Configuration for aspx Page

Jacques Oberto

Hi All,

I have a aspx page which generates an image based on
URL parameters. Some parameters vary at each request
and some vary only between separate deployments.
I would like to avoid to use the seldom used parameters
in the URL and also avoid "hard coding" them in the aspx
page.

I was thinking of using a "config file" on disk to store those
parameters, but will that solution impose disk access at
each request? Would that config file be cached into memory?

Please let me know if you think of a more efficient way.
Thanks,

Jacques

Patrice

Hi,
I have a aspx page which generates an image based on
URL parameters. Some parameters vary at each request
and some vary only between separate deployments.
I would like to avoid to use the seldom used parameters
in the URL and also avoid "hard coding" them in the aspx
page.

Having the whole picture could help. For example if you are using a
parameter to prevent caching of ealier image and have the new version
downloaded when the app is updated, it could be something that is just
created when not already present (that is computed after the application
starts).

You'll just loose caching if the application restarts but it should happen
unfrequently under normal circumstances. When the application is updated you
have nothing to do to get new images client side.
I was thinking of using a "config file" on disk to store those
parameters, but will that solution impose disk access at
each request? Would that config file be cached into memory?

AFAIK the config file is cached (else it's quite easy to have a class that
does this an expose your settings as you wish)...

Guest

Hi All,

I have a aspx page which generates an image based on
URL parameters. Some parameters vary at each request
and some vary only between separate deployments.
I would like to avoid to use the seldom used parameters
in the URL and also avoid "hard coding" them in the aspx
page.

I was thinking of using a "config file" on disk to store those
parameters, but will that solution impose disk access at
each request? Would that config file be cached into memory?

You can use a web.config file for this. It's cached in memory.