Confused about Boost.Python & bjam

Till Kranz

Hi,

I tried to get started with Boost.Python. unfortunately I never used the
bjam build system before. As it is explained in the documentation I tried
to adapt the the files form the examples directory. I copied 'Jamroot',
'boost_build.jam' and 'extending.cpp' to '~/test/'. But I am lost as to
what to do now. The docu says I should adjust the 'use-project' path. But
what to? I am using a Gentoo system, so there is no boost directory. The
librarys are in /usr/lib/ the boost build stuff is in
/usr/share/boost-build and the include files are in /usr/include/boost/.

If anyone could post minimal Jamroot & boost_build.jam files for this
setting I would be realy grateful. I think I will be able to figure out
everything else, once I have a working example.

Thanks in advance

Till

7

7stud

Hi,

I tried to get started with Boost.Python. unfortunately I never used the
bjam build system before. As it is explained in the documentation I tried
to adapt the the files form the examples directory. I copied 'Jamroot',
'boost_build.jam' and 'extending.cpp' to '~/test/'. But I am lost as to
what to do now. The docu says I should adjust the 'use-project' path. But
what to? I am using a Gentoo system, so there is no boost directory. The
librarys are in /usr/lib/ the boost build stuff is in
/usr/share/boost-build and the include files are in /usr/include/boost/.

If anyone could post minimal Jamroot & boost_build.jam files for this
setting I would be realy grateful. I think I will be able to figure out
everything else, once I have a working example.

Thanks in advance

        Till

A few months ago, I spent a whole day trying to install boost python.
I failed. After that, I decided I'd never go near boost again.

Till Kranz

Hi,

A few months ago, I spent a whole day trying to install boost python.
I failed. After that, I decided I'd never go near boost again.

I think I kind of managed to install boost. All the header only boost
stuff works. It was Gentoos package manager that did the installing for me
after all. I think my problem is, that the parts of boost got properly
spread out over the file system. I am sure the bjam system can handle this
but I need a starting point to find out how.

Best

Till

Neil Hodgson

Till Kranz:
I tried to get started with Boost.Python. unfortunately I never used the
bjam build system before. As it is explained in the documentation I
tried to adapt the the files form the examples directory. I copied
'Jamroot', 'boost_build.jam' and 'extending.cpp' to '~/test/'. But I am
lost as to what to do now.

Yes, Boost.Python is difficult to use and the documentation isn't
that clear. I've pretty much given up for now but I do have a project
called SinkWorld that works with Boost.Python. You can access the CVS at
http://scintilla.cvs.sourceforge.net/scintilla/sinkworld/
and the jam config files are in the tentacle/python directory as
http://scintilla.cvs.sourceforge.ne...tacle/python/Jamfile?revision=1.6&view=markup
http://scintilla.cvs.sourceforge.ne...thon/boost-build.jam?revision=1.2&view=markup
http://scintilla.cvs.sourceforge.ne...acle/python/Jamrules?revision=1.2&view=markup

There is a mailing list which may be able to help:

Neil