Connecting to server in ASP

tna | timothy gardiner

Hi,

I need to learn how to query our .AU registry for the availability of domain
names. I've gone to our registry's main page, and they have given me the
instructions on doing it... as shown below

AusRegistry has a method to enable resellers, whose current systems rely on
incorrectly being able to use the WHOIS service for domain name checks, to
continue to check for domain name availability. The format of the request is
a text string of the domain name followed by a "\r\n" as per a standard
WHOIS request. The service will then respond with either the string
"Available" or "Not Available" depending upon whether or not the domain is
available for registration.

To check the availability of ausregistry.net.au the steps would be the
following:

1. Connect to the address and port as supplied below
2. Send the string "ausregistry.net.au\r\n" to the server
3. The server will respond with "Not Available" and then close the
connection.

[sic]

Address: whois-check.ausregistry.net.au
Port: 43

I dont understand how, if at all it is possible to "connect" to
whois-check.ausregistry.net.au:43 in ASP and get the response. PLEASE HELP!!
=)

Thanks!

Guest

you can access Windws Sockets components or any other component that allows
you to create TCP/IP socket instance. Even nore, you can get tons of free
WHOIS components, that ready to use for your project.