convert java to c++

cs_hart

I have an application in Java that I would like to port to c++ to
integrate with existing c++ app. is anyone aware of any tools to help?
I found microsft has a java->csharp convert, but the java app has class
that do multiple subclassing and this doesn't seem to work in Csharp.
thanks...charlie

Casey Hawthorne

Why not leave both apps as C++ and Java and use Python to glue them
together?

Python (and some other scripting languages) make its very easy to glue
C++ and Java together!

Victor Bazarov

Casey said:
Why not leave both apps as C++ and Java and use Python to glue them
together?

Python (and some other scripting languages) make its very easy to glue
C++ and Java together!

I know it may not be topical, but wouldn't introducing a scripting
language be detrimental to the performance of the system? Of course,
there is no way to tell whether the performance is something that the
OP needs or has as the reason for switching to C++...

I don't have _much_ experience with Python, and that's why I'm asking.

Besides, Java has its own ways to integrate with C++, doesn't it? And
not that they are too convoluted or impossible to use. So, why would
one want to involve yet another language/interpreter (even if it isn't
a performance killer)?

Thanks!

Ioannis Vranos

I have an application in Java that I would like to port to c++ to
integrate with existing c++ app. is anyone aware of any tools to help?
I found microsft has a java->csharp convert, but the java app has class
that do multiple subclassing and this doesn't seem to work in Csharp.

There are many approaches. Assuming you are interested in windows, from
exposing your Java code as a .NET dll (using J#) and then using that dll
in your C++ code, by using GCC to create object files and link them with
other object files from the C++ code, etc.

If I recall well, there has been a Java to J# .NET translation tool at
MS web site.

superprad

did you try using swig and for that matter JNI itself. It servers a
good wrapper in integrating Java and C++

cs_hart

Not being a Java programmer I'm not familiar with swig or JNII. Can you
point me to some info on these?