Cookie aint retrieving when visiting happens from a backlink.

Nick the Gr33k

Στις 25/10/2013 6:36 μμ, ο/η Joel Goldstick έγÏαψε:
Chris is too kind. Go to wikipedia. and then go for a walk.. don't
come back here
if he was too kind liek you say,he wouldn't give vague ideas of help
like google , or wiki it.

he would provide actual testing code so to know what the **** is goidn
wrong with it.

Steve Simmons

Do you understand: 1) what cookies are? 2) how the browser receives
them? 3) how the server gets them back? 4) when #3 happens and when it
does not? If not, go to Wikipedia and start reading. If you get to the
end of Wikipedia without comprehending this, go back to the beginning
and start over. ChrisA

Chris,

You truly are a saint!

I simply cannot believe the level of restraint you have shown during
this exchange (unless of course you have bought tickets to Greece in
order to deal with this issue in person and 'with extreme prejudice').

As for the OP - Nick, I think your utterly ignorant rudeness to Chris
will have alienated the entire membership of this list and you should
seriously consider a carefully worded apology.

This list does not exist to teach you how to run a website or to write
software for it. This list does not exist to explain every single
aspect of network and web technology to someone who openly admits that
they prefer to get answers from list members without doing any personal
research. This list exists to provide mutual to support members in
their personal usage of and research into Python.

Most importantly, any contribution comes free of charge and you should
recognise this gift and remember to use 'please and thank you' instead
of 'don't be lazy'. If you want to be respected by this group, you need
to substantially change your attitude and start to do some research of
your own before posting questions on this or any other list.

Steve

Chris Angelico

Chris,

You truly are a saint!

I simply cannot believe the level of restraint you have shown during this
exchange (unless of course you have bought tickets to Greece in order to
deal with this issue in person and 'with extreme prejudice').

I have no such tickets. If I were to go to Greece, there are many
things much more worthy of my time than juvenile retaliation. :)

The main reason I'm patient with him is for the benefit of those
coming afterwards - maybe years afterwards - and reading the thread. I
want every thread to be either useful/informative or funny -
preferably both. :) Flaming Nikos isn't particularly helpful, though
sometimes it has been done very wittily.

ChrisA

Piet van Oostrum

Îίκος Αλεξόπουλος said:
There is no set of cookie returned back when visitor comes from a referer.

Isn't this strange?
No matter if you visit a webpage as a direct hit or via a referer the
cookie on the visitor's browser should have been present.

But it can only can be found and retrieved as a direct hit and _not_
from a referrer backlink.

What is happening is that the page comes from the browser cache when you do a back link (back button in your browser). So the request doesn't go to your server. I checked this by switching off my internet connection and then trying both the back button and entering the URL in the address bar. So it has nothing to do with referrer, I think.

Roy Smith

Piet van Oostrum said:
What is happening is that the page comes from the browser cache when you do a
back link (back button in your browser). So the request doesn't go to your
server. I checked this by switching off my internet connection and then
trying both the back button and entering the URL in the address bar. So it
has nothing to do with referrer, I think.

Unclear what this has to do with Python, but here's a couple of hints
for debugging / exploring these kinds of issues.

1) Use a command-line tool such as curl to issue the request and see
exactly what headers are send and come back.

2) If you want to do this inside a browser, use something like Chrome's
Developer Tools. In Chrome on the Mac, Command-Option-I will get you
the tools screen, then click the network tab and send your request.
It'll capture everything and you can drill down to see all the details.
Any decent browser should have something similar (possibly as an add-on
extension).

Piet van Oostrum

Piet van Oostrum said:
What is happening is that the page comes from the browser cache when
you do a back link (back button in your browser). So the request
doesn't go to your server. I checked this by switching off my internet
connection and then trying both the back button and entering the URL
in the address bar. So it has nothing to do with referrer, I think.

Upon reading another time your message, I now see that you probably mean
clicking on the link about WEB HOSTING in the pages mentioned. I tried
that and in both cases an entry comes in your data base. The only
difference is that the column ΑναφέÏων contains "Direct link' instead of
the referrer website.

So I think the Python code is working and your problem lies somewhere
else, outside the Python world.

Nick the Gr33k

Στις 27/10/2013 4:24 πμ, ο/η Piet van Oostrum έγÏαψε:
Upon reading another time your message, I now see that you probably mean
clicking on the link about WEB HOSTING in the pages mentioned.

Yes, this is exactly what i mean.
I tried
that and in both cases an entry comes in your data base. The only
difference is that the column ΑναφέÏων contains "Direct link' instead of
the referrer website.

This happened because i switched the code once again and removed the
cookie setting/retrieving.

If i put it back then every time a visitor comes from a referrer
backlink an exact duplicate row with the same host appears into my
database except from the 'ref' column which is different.