counting of bits

rajm2019

Given two integers A & B. Determine how many bits required to convert
A to B.how to write a function int BitSwapReqd(int A, int B);

osmium

Given two integers A & B. Determine how many bits required to convert
A to B.how to write a function int BitSwapReqd(int A, int B);

The exclusive or operator may help you.

Don Bruder

"osmium said:
The exclusive or operator may help you.

Why do I get the feeling someone has a homework assignment, and hasn't
been paying attention in class?

(CF his other post - "function to divide by three")

rajm2019

--
Don Bruder - (e-mail address removed) - If your "From:" address isn't on my whitelist,
ever knowing it arrived. Sorry... <http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd> for more info

how to do this pls help me

Don Bruder

how to do this pls help me

Sure... I can do your homework for you - I charge US$500.00 per half
hour, with a two hour minimum, and expect payment in advance.

Alternatively, you could pay attention in class.

(Hint: If you'd been paying attention, rather than screwing off, you'd
be able to whip out any of these assignments in about 15 minutes, tops.
These are all trivial stuff that anyone can deal with easily - IF they
pay attention in class instead of screwing around.)

Walter Roberson

Given two integers A & B. Determine how many bits required to convert
A to B.

integers just -are-, independant of representation. Bits are
a particular representation, and there are an infinite number
of bit representations of any given integer.
how to write a function int BitSwapReqd(int A, int B);

Note that an 'int' is not an integer: int is only an implementation-
defined subset of integers.

Is there supposed to be a connection between the 'Swap' in the
function name and the earlier requirement about "convert A to B" ?
Swapping implies the exchange of two values, while "convert"
only implies the transformation of one value; the two verbs could
come out with very different results.

Thad Smith

Given two integers A & B. Determine how many bits required to convert
A to B.

The number of bits required depends on the definition of conversion in
this instance. What definition are you using?

Francine.Neary

The number of bits required depends on the definition of conversion in
this instance. What definition are you using?

Guess the homework must have been due by now :)

I think it's pretty clear the OP wants to find the "hamming distance"
between the base 2 expression of two integers... I'd do that like
this:

unsigned int hd(unsigned int a, unsigned int b)
{
unsigned int c=a^b, d=0;
while(c) {
d+=(c & 1);
c>>=1;
}
return d;
}

For signed integers, you'd need to worry about how the integer is
being represented - 1s/2s complement etc.

Francine.Neary

I think it's pretty clear the OP wants to find the "hamming distance"
between the base 2 expression of two integers... I'd do that like
this:

unsigned int hd(unsigned int a, unsigned int b)
{
unsigned int c=a^b, d=0;
while(c) {
d+=(c & 1);
c>>=1;
}
return d;

}

With slight stylistic improvements (unnecessary auto variable and
superfluous parentheses removed):

unsigned int hd(unsigned int a, unsigned int b)
{
unsigned int d=0;
a^=b;
while(a) {