createuserwizard refuese to add users due to password

Boyan

I am using microsoft web developer express beta a to try our the new features
of asp.net 2.0. When working with the the createuserwizard control, I found
it always showed a "select a different password" message when I try to add a
user. The passwordregularexpression property is empty by default, I also
tried to change it to some simple form like [a-z]+, but nothing works. Since
the control is a black box, I have no ideas of why it treats the password
supplied as invalid. Any one experienced this before?

Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]

If you enter a strong password it will work.
Combine letters, numbers & symbols.

Boyan

Thanks Steve. That really helped.

Boyan said:
I am using microsoft web developer express beta a to try our the new
features
of asp.net 2.0. When working with the the createuserwizard control, I
found
it always showed a "select a different password" message when I try to add
user. The passwordregularexpression property is empty by default, I also
tried to change it to some simple form like [a-z]+, but nothing works.
Since
the control is a black box, I have no ideas of why it treats the password
supplied as invalid. Any one experienced this before?

Boyan

Thank you. This solved my long time puzzle.

Brock Allen said:
By default they have enabled stronger password validation:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/netframework/downloads/updates/fw20readme.aspx

Check out section "3.1.5 ASP.NET Membership Enforces Password Strength Requirements"

I am using microsoft web developer express beta a to try our the new
features of asp.net 2.0. When working with the the createuserwizard
control, I found it always showed a "select a different password"
message when I try to add a user. The passwordregularexpression
property is empty by default, I also tried to change it to some simple
form like [a-z]+, but nothing works. Since the control is a black box,
I have no ideas of why it treats the password supplied as invalid. Any
one experienced this before?

Jeff

Hello Boyan,

Of course, you could continue to tell your users to enter a password with
lots of restrictions...

or...

Change the way users logon to your app by changing a few config items in the
web.config file.

<membership defaultProvider="OurMembershipProvider">
<providers>
<clear/>
<add
name="OurMembershipProvider"
type="System.Web.Security.SqlMembershipProvider"
connectionStringName="OurStoreConnection"
applicationName="/"
enablePasswordRetrieval="True"
enablePasswordReset="True"
passwordFormat="Encrypted"
requiresQuestionAndAnswer="False"
maxInvalidPasswordAttempts="10"
minRequiredPasswordLength="1"
minRequiredNonalphanumericCharacters="0"
passwordAttemptWindow="10"
passwordStrengthRegularExpression=""
requiresUniqueEmail="false"
/>