    about acquiring it.

    For those who are interested the site is http://books.virtualinfinity.net/

    For those this offends, feel free to simply not click on the link.

    Daniel Pitts, Oct 1, 2007

  2. <dws>*
    It is probably all those links you put to 'free' books
    where the book arrives with an invoice, or worse,
    the ones you post to links where the page simply
    reports 'ha ha u bank account has bin emptyd!!!'
    You might get a rude shock as to just how many
    referrals produce a pitiful amount of money.
    ** OK. A couple of points:
    - I am not a big fan of books, and generally rely on web
    based documents myself.
    - If I encounter a poster who seems *set* on books, I
    will first point out the JavaDocs, the Java Tutorial and
    Bruce Eckel's freely downloadable 'Thinking in Java'
    ..before linking to TechBookReport's list.
    <http://www.techbookreport.com/JavaIndex.html>
    - The reason I will link to TBR's list is that I get the
    strong impression they (being rather passionate
    about books) have *personally* read every one listed,
    and the reviews are their own, so have a consistency
    to them. Also TBR's reviews tend to provide enough
    detail for the end reader to decide whether the book
    is suited to *their* immedate purposes, perhaps
    despite a high rating by TBR.
    Nice colors, but I think this concept of 'negative space'***
    in a web page is 'very last millenium', and more a sign of
    web developers that either:
    a) Do not understand how to write resizable pages - or
    b) Want to extort money for 'updating' the site every time
    the 'average screen size' changes.

    Once you get more than 'a couple', it would probably
    also help to add some HTML anchors so the OP can
    be directed to *specific* books - ideally anchors whould
    be alllowercase, with no '-', '_', ' ' or orther funny characters.
    Some people prefer descriptive anchors like ..
    <http://books.virtualinfinity.net/#javaconcurrencyinpractise>
    ..but for the sake of brevity, I often *also* add
    a number based anchor, like..
    <http://books.virtualinfinity.net/#1>

    *** The gaps down either side of the page. The only
    reason my own pages will have a gap down the left
    side of the page (below the links) is that I cannot be
    bothered filling it with ads (at this moment).

    BTW -
    effecient -> efficient
    dispell -> dispel

    I think the sentence..
    "If you work in a J2EE container, Swing GUI application, .."
    ..should be more like..
    "If you work in a J2EE container, or on a Swing GUI application, .."
    ..or..
    "If you work in J2EE, Swing GUI development, .."
    (I do not like the word 'application' since it implies
    'not applet' within the Java context.)
    I recognise the help you are trying to provide. As Lew
    might be heard saying - "I consider you to be one of
    the 'white hats'".

    * DWS - Dripping with sarcasm.

    Andrew Thompson, Oct 1, 2007

  3. Daniel Pitts

    Daniel Pitts Guest

    That just might be why. Too bad that account got seized by the gov'ment.
    I wasn't expecting to retire off this :)

    [snip]
    <tangent>I don't think I've read an up-to-date Thinking In Java. (I have
    That is also my goal. The two books I have listed there are books I
    have read through. Its just been too-long of a weekend (celebrated my
    Wedding on Saturday).
    The page should be resizable. The negative space is simply a margin
    (check the CSS), and this page is hand updated by me, so obviously I'm
    trying to extort money from myself _as well_ from newbies.
    I was actually thinking of going a step further and having the "index"
    page as well as a page dedicated to each book and/or subject. That way
    I could link to books.virtualinfinity.net/refactoring
    Thanks. It's late at night, and I don't have a spell-check plug-in for
    VIM :) I should run a spell-check on the whole thing.
    Hadn't thought of that. Actually, it is relevant to AWT programs as
    well. I should correct that, thanks.
    Help? I thought I was extorting money. Dangit. Got my wires crossed
    again :).
    Thanks for the feedback. I suppose the *best* way to make money from
    selling books is to either become a publisher. The next best way would
    to be a writer. I'm more likely to become the latter :).

    Thanks,
    Daniel.

    P.S. I'm using a new newsgroup interface (Thunderbird with my ISP's
    NNTP, instead of Google Groups), please let me know if anything *weird*
    happens. On the plus side, I can actually see some messages that google
    indexed but didn't store (or can't retrieve.)

    Daniel Pitts, Oct 1, 2007
  4. Daniel Pitts

    Roedy Green Guest

    To get a list of all my recommendations, download the HTML for my site
    with the Replicator, http://mindprod.com/webstart/replicator.html

    Then, do a search for the string

    "recommend book"

    Roedy Green, Oct 1, 2007
  5. Daniel Pitts

    Roedy Green Guest

    It is probably all those links you put to 'free' books
    Just how does that work? Since when do you hand over your credit card
    number or PayPal password if you did not intend to buy something?

    Roedy Green, Oct 1, 2007
  6. Andrew Thompson, Oct 1, 2007
  7. *Damn* those woolly-headed, tree-hugging /communists/!
    ..
    Is that a Wedding *Anniversary* you are referring to?
    Or have 'young people nowadays' given up on the honeymoon?
    And if you are sneaking out of the wedding suite to
    post to usenet.. well I don't know *what* to ask!

    Oh - forgot to check that (or simply resize the page) - my bad.
    (HTML anchors)
    That would be good.
    I know a lot of hungry writers!* I think that for most
    authors who are not at the Stephen King level, writing
    is more for the passion, than (huge) profits.
    * So "Don't give up your day job." Your bride might
    not be too happy about waiting for the royalty checks
    to arrive. ;-)

    Andrew Thompson, Oct 1, 2007
  8. Daniel Pitts

    Daniel Pitts Guest

    Well, we technically got married 6 months ago, but we just celebrated
    with our family.
    Luckily, I have enough skill as a developer to bring home a good
    paycheck, and I enjoy my work. :)

    Thanks,
    Daniel.

    Daniel Pitts, Oct 1, 2007
  10. Daniel Pitts

    nebulous99 Guest

    I'd suggest prominent links to Sun's Javadoc and Java Tutorial pages
    and a few other free materials (someone mentioned Thinking in Java?)
    -- this may be appreciated by people of limited means, non-local
    people who even if they have the money can't actually buy the books
    from wherever they are anyway, people with no credit card who
    therefore can't order things over the 'net, etc., and those people
    wouldn't generate revenue anyway. Some people who might have might
    check out the freebies and end up satisfied by one of these enough not
    to end up buying anything, but in that case the money you missed out
    on *would* have been effectively ripping someone off, which isn't very
    nice.

    The use of the word "books" in the link is helpful; when the URL
    appears people will probably be expecting pay books rather than free
    online articles and information, and if they *do* encounter some links
    to the latter they'll be pleasantly surprised. This is far preferable
    for all concerned to them arriving expecting free information and
    running into some sort of a paywall and being angry and/or
    disappointed.

    nebulous99, Oct 2, 2007
  11. Daniel Pitts

    Daniel Pitts Guest

    Believe it or not, I was thinking of you when I created that
    subdomain. While I often disagree with your method of argument,
    sometimes you bring up a good point.

    As what I link to from this page, I plan to only link to things that I
    personally have found useful, regardless of the financial implications
    for me.

    Daniel Pitts, Oct 2, 2007
  12. _Effective Java_ by Josh Bloch. It's a bit outdated, because much of his
    advice has become part of Java, e.g. his suggested implementation for enums.
    But it's such a good guide to OO programming in general that I've heard it
    recommended by Microsoft employees to people learning .NET.

    Mike Schilling, Oct 2, 2007
  13. Daniel Pitts

    bbound Guest

    Eh. I thought you were intending to endorse that book. Saying it's
    recommended by Microsoft employees to people learning .NET seems more
    like an indictment to me. ;)

    bbound, Oct 3, 2007
  14. Oh, look: a superior attitude, wholly unearned. How trite.

    Mike Schilling, Oct 4, 2007
  15. Daniel Pitts

    Daniel Pitts Guest

    Don't feed the trolls. It was a stab at M$, not you.

    Daniel Pitts, Oct 4, 2007
  16. Daniel Pitts

    bbound Guest

    Hmm -- Looks like it's Pick on BBound Day today. Because it's way too
    early for anyone to be wearing their "arsehole" or "netkkkop"
    Halloween costumes already ...

    bbound, Oct 6, 2007