Creating first project

y1799

I have a problem with creating new Web project
I use Win XP pro. I installed VS 2003 and after installation ran
"aspnet_regiis.exe /i "

I got error message: "The web server reported the following error when
attemping to create or open the Web project located at the following
URL; "http://localhost/WebApplication1'.'HTTP/1.1.500 Server Error'

The button "help" opened for me such page:
"ms-help://MS.VSCC.2003/MS.MSDNQTR.2003FEB.1033/vbref/html/vberrthewebserverreportedfollowingerrorwhenattemptingtocreateoropenwebprojectlocatedatfollowingurlurl.htm"

I created test.html file and I can access to it
(http://localhost/test.html) - in case if somebody need to know if
server works

Any idea what it can be?
Thanks everybody for advice.

clintonG

Because IIS returns results for an html file does not mean results will be
returned for an aspx page which must be compiled by ASP.NET before being
returned to the browser. Write a test page and invoke the DateTime.Now
property of the Datetime method. Assign the value to a Label.Text property
and request the aspx page from the browser. If you don't see a date and time
ASP.NET 1.1 is not installed correctly.

<%= Clinton Gallagher
NET csgallagher AT metromilwaukee.com
URL http://metromilwaukee.com/

Raymond

Congrats, you've just encoutered your first bug.
That's what error 500 means. You need to go
to your IE's Internet Options, Advanced tab,
and turn off Show Friendly HTTP Error Messages,
before you'll see the cause of the error.

Raymond

Then it could be a COM+ issue.
Does it work if you set Application
Isolation to Low in IIS?
What do you see in COM+ in Component
Services?

y1799

I found that on "working" PC exists about ASPNET account, but on "bad"
PC - does not .
Who has to create this account (installation of VS.Net, IIS, etc) and
why this account need?
I already reinstalled VS and IIS but account still does not exist - how
to "force" create it?

Raymond

By default, ASPNET is the account used to run
ASP.NET server-side programs. This should've
been installed by the SDK or VS. If it weren't,
it might have been a due to restrictions on the
logged in account under which you installed the
SDK or VS.

Juan T. Llibre

The ASPNET account is not necessarily needed.

In IIS 6.0 ( Windows Server 2003 ), the ASPNET account is not created,
and everything works with the NT Authority\Network Service

re:
Who has to create this account

The .Net Framework setup creates the account, if needed.

re:
why this account need?

It's needed so that ASP.NET can run as a particular user account.
ASP.NET needs file/process permissions to do its operations.

If there was no account assigned to run ASP.NET as,
it would be impossible for ASP.NET to operate.

re:
how to "force" create it?

You can force the creation of the account by running aspnet_regiis -u
followed by aspnet_regiis -i (from a command window in the .Net Framework directory).

Juan T. Llibre
ASP.NET MVP
ASPNETFAQ.COM : http://www.aspnetfaq.com