Criticisms of jQuery?

Matt Kruse

I've looked at some of the popular javascript libraries for use by
developers on upcoming projects:
jQuery, Moo Tools, YUI, Prototype (+Dojo), Fork

Of these most popular libraries, jQuery seems to me to be the 'best' IMO,
and right now it's my favorite to recommend.

I'm interested in hearing what others have to say about it - specifically
what criticisms do people have?

I'm not interested in a discussion on the pros and cons of using libraries -
just the discussion of the pros and cons of this specific one. And don't say
"it depends on what you want it for." Of course it does. But that's good
feedack - "I used it for X and Y, but when I wanted to do Z it didn't have a
way to do it."

Thanks!

RobG

I've looked at some of the popular javascript libraries for use by
developers on upcoming projects:
jQuery, Moo Tools, YUI, Prototype (+Dojo), Fork

Of these most popular libraries, jQuery seems to me to be the 'best' IMO,
and right now it's my favorite to recommend.

I'm interested in hearing what others have to say about it - specifically
what criticisms do people have?

I'm not interested in a discussion on the pros and cons of using libraries -
just the discussion of the pros and cons of this specific one. And don't say
"it depends on what you want it for." Of course it does. But that's good
feedack - "I used it for X and Y, but when I wanted to do Z it didn't have a
way to do it."

You might get some good responses on the Rails spinoffs group since
they seem to like libraries of all kinds (though mostly Prototype &
Scriptaculous):

Julian Turner

I've looked at some of the popular javascript libraries for use by
developers on upcoming projects:
jQuery, Moo Tools, YUI, Prototype (+Dojo), Fork

Of these most popular libraries, jQuery seems to me to be the 'best' IMO,
and right now it's my favorite to recommend.

I'm interested in hearing what others have to say about it - specifically
what criticisms do people have?

I'm not interested in a discussion on the pros and cons of using libraries -
just the discussion of the pros and cons of this specific one. And don't say
"it depends on what you want it for." Of course it does. But that's good
feedack - "I used it for X and Y, but when I wanted to do Z it didn't have a
way to do it."

Thanks!

Hi

I have not used it myself, so can't offer any comments.

As an aside there has been some interesting competition going on
between jQuery, dojo.query, and DOMQueryconcerning performance.

See
www.jackslocum.com
http://blog.dojotoolkit.org/2007/02/04/dojoquery-a-css-query-engine-for-dojo

Regards