    the whole sorfware? I'm thinking in particular of Morzilla and Opera
    Cheers

    Remove XX in direct reply

    jb, Dec 6, 2003

  2. jb

    John Patmore Guest

    Use HTML Toolbox and Browser Photo <http://www.netmechanic.com/>

    John Patmore, Dec 6, 2003

  3. jb

    brucie Guest

    download the browsers. any claims that a program or system can show you
    how your site will appear in a particular browser are at best inaccurate
    and at worst totally false and misleading.

    brucie, Dec 6, 2003
  4. jb

    Raj Rijhwani Guest

    On Saturday, in article <bqtc6b$57p$>
    No, but you can verify that it conforms to defined standards with an
    validator. See <http://www.w3c.org> and <http://validator.w3c.org>.

    Raj Rijhwani, Dec 7, 2003
  5. jb

    Nico Schuyt Guest

    Almost every browser: http://www.browsercam.com/
    Ideal for testing Mac when you have a pc.
    But a screen shot gives very limited information. Better to install the
    browsers when possible.
    Nico

    Nico Schuyt, Dec 7, 2003
  6. Download them. you can use mozilla net installer and only install
    navigator if you want. you can also download opera without java.

    Thomas

    Thomas Jollans, Dec 7, 2003
  7. jb

    delerious Guest

    Since Netscape is now based on Mozilla, can I assume that if a page looks a
    certain way in Mozilla, then it will look the same way in Netscape?

    delerious, Dec 8, 2003
  8. jb

    brucie Guest

    no (even if they're using the same build)

    brucie, Dec 8, 2003
  9. Not if you want your site to look the same with older versions of
    Netscape.

    Jonathan Silverlight, Dec 8, 2003
  10. jb

    Whitecrest Guest

    Sadly validation is meaningless with todays browsers (any of them), if
    you are concerned as to how your page will work.

    Validation is good to check if you are headed in the right direction.
    After you validate, you pop back and see if it works in the major
    browsers, then to make the appropriate (non validating if need be)
    changed to make it work right.

    Whitecrest, Dec 8, 2003
  11. I think there's a misunderstanding about validation. See
    <http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/html/validation.html> for some info.

    Matthias

    Matthias Gutfeldt, Dec 8, 2003
  12. Mind explaining? Besides AIM and the logos, I can't see much difference.

    Leif K-Brooks, Dec 8, 2003
  13. jb

    Chris Game Guest

    Whitecrest said:
    Quite right, and sensible advice. Which is why I repeated it.

    You can often tell when a page has been written with scant regard to
    the users, but some geeky idealistic motivation, by those little
    yellow boxy icons with 'W3C validated' or some such on. The worst
    examples have more than one such icon.

    Chris Game, Dec 8, 2003
  14. jb

    brucie Guest

    show me some money
    when throwing pages together i noticed on occasions that even though NS
    and the moz i was using were the same build (1.4) they occasionally
    displayed the page differently. IIRC it was mainly margins.

    brucie, Dec 8, 2003
  15. More confusion... validation is not a usability check. Whether or not a
    page validates has nothing to do with usability (unless the markup is so
    broken that even the most forgiving browser can't make any sense out of it).

    Matthias

    Matthias Gutfeldt, Dec 8, 2003
  16. jb

    Whitecrest Guest

    Never said it was. But a page can validate and be completely unusable.
    So you have to put validation in its place. You validate to see if you
    have things right, then you test and make the needed (sometimes non
    validating) code to fix it.

    Whitecrest, Dec 8, 2003
  17. ActiveX?

    Toby A Inkster, Dec 8, 2003