C's gotoxy() equivalent in Perl

Yogi

Hi,
I am trying to print something on my screen at specific location. Do
we have anything equivalent to gotoxy() , as we have in C language, in
Perl? I tried using Term::Cap but not getting any success.
Getting an error message : "TERM not set at...".

I am trying to run my perl script on Windows envt.
Perl version = v5.8.8 built for MSWin32-x86-multi-thread

Any pointers/help?

John W. Krahn

Yogi said:
Hi,
I am trying to print something on my screen at specific location. Do
we have anything equivalent to gotoxy() , as we have in C language, in
Perl? I tried using Term::Cap but not getting any success.
Getting an error message : "TERM not set at...".

I am trying to run my perl script on Windows envt.
Perl version = v5.8.8 built for MSWin32-x86-multi-thread

gotoxy() is not a C language function, it is a Curses function:

http://search.cpan.org/~giraffed/Curses-1.20/gen/make.Curses.pm

John

Ben Morrow

Quoth Yogi said:
Hi,
I am trying to print something on my screen at specific location. Do
we have anything equivalent to gotoxy() , as we have in C language, in
Perl? I tried using Term::Cap but not getting any success.
Getting an error message : "TERM not set at...".

I am trying to run my perl script on Windows envt.
Perl version = v5.8.8 built for MSWin32-x86-multi-thread

Term::Cap won't work under Windows. I would recommend Term::ANSIScreen
for what you're trying to do; you could also look at Win32::Console.

Ben

Ben Morrow

Quoth "Gerry Ford said:
Maybe one way to get what you want is to install Ruby and borrow the curses.
I frankly don't know a curse from a gem or a rake, but since Ruby was
created using MVC++6, it might be better for windows stuff than the
equivalent from perl.

ActivePerl is build using MSVC6, and if the OP has MSVC (and Curses will
build under Windows at all) it will build perfectly well. Also, recent
versions of ActivePerl have some provision for using MinGW to build
modules that are compatible with perl.

Ben