CSS Design why is it so hard?

Port 119

Why is it so hard to do full web sites with nice tabbed menus, centred
layouts of either 2 or 3 column types without etc?

It seesm that most web sites should go css because of the ease of having
two stylesheets - one for printing and one for the screen.

I', even steering away from three column layouts for most sites as this
creates too much clutter.

But cannot figure out why the Microsoft Tools ( Front Page 2003 and
SharePoitn Designer ) just don't behave all the time well ( in a wysiwyg
way) with good css designed sites?

I am the only one finding this is the case?

Regards,
Smartbiz Australia
www.smartbiz.com.au

Neredbojias

Why is it so hard to do full web sites with nice tabbed menus, centred
layouts of either 2 or 3 column types without etc?

It seesm that most web sites should go css because of the ease of having
two stylesheets - one for printing and one for the screen.

I', even steering away from three column layouts for most sites as this
creates too much clutter.

But cannot figure out why the Microsoft Tools ( Front Page 2003 and
SharePoitn Designer ) just don't behave all the time well ( in a wysiwyg
way) with good css designed sites?

I am the only one finding this is the case?

The answer is simple and obvious. Microsoft makes the worst software in
the world. If you are just discovering this, you are in for some good fun
when you tackle many programmatic-ish endeavors having a bit more
complexity in the future.

Chaddy2222

The answer is simple and obvious. Microsoft makes the worst software in
the world. If you are just discovering this, you are in for some good fun
when you tackle many programmatic-ish endeavors having a bit more
complexity in the future.
I agree that when it comes to web creation software, yes MS do a a bad
job of it (or have in the past.
MS's Expression Web or whatever it's called is said to be better then
Dreamwever, although I have never thaught much of that product eather.
It's too complex for it's own good.
I try and use Free and Open Source software where I can now-a-days.

Neredbojias

I agree that when it comes to web creation software, yes MS do a a bad
job of it (or have in the past.

Uh huh. I'll elaborate at bottom.
MS's Expression Web or whatever it's called is said to be better then
Dreamwever, although I have never thaught much of that product eather.
It's too complex for it's own good.
Yes.

I try and use Free and Open Source software where I can now-a-days.

Yes, yes.

Perhaps I misspoke slightly. In general (wih exceptions), it isn't
Microsoft software per se that's really the culprit; it's Microsoft
procedures and policies and attitude which definitively sinks them. I
suspect some of their employees actually could make a good piece of
software were they guided in the right direction (-or not "guided" in the
wrong.) The momentum of the company as it is now is neither conducive to
fine, dependable programmics nor to apps which end-users can truly rely on
in confidence. Things were better 20 years ago! Maybe the stuff wasn't as
esoteric as it is now, but it could be fixed or replaced without totally
destroying or rendering impotent what a least temporarily did function.
Everyday I become more and more disillusioned with this crap because that
is what it's turning into - crap! Active-X was an early example of the
trend, and I certainly do not see the end in sight. I know that belaboring
the issue is futile, but sometimes I just have to rant for release.

Lipstikk