CSS instead of frames (but how)?

Jonathan N. Little

Len said:
3% was a guess - It may be more, but I'd be surprised at 20%, just the
same.
<snip>

Well for my website for Dec 2005 is was MSIE 68.8%
Netscape|Mozilla|Firefox 19.5% the rest bots|Opera|Old version 4
browsers and MSIE has been falling over 2 years

Len Philpot

<snip>

Well for my website for Dec 2005 is was MSIE 68.8%
Netscape|Mozilla|Firefox 19.5% the rest bots|Opera|Old version 4
browsers and MSIE has been falling over 2 years

That's interesting, although my percentage was a guess at the number of
users who need beyond-the-ordinary design considerations rather than
browser type. However, an interesting stat nonetheless.

Thanks.

Jonathan N. Little

Len said:
That's interesting, although my percentage was a guess at the number of
users who need beyond-the-ordinary design considerations rather than
browser type. However, an interesting stat nonetheless.

Sorry must reread this long thread...I thought your comments where in
justifying coding for a specific browser as opposed to the standard
where design/user flexibility is stressed.

For 'special needs' formatting I believe your main content should be
legible withing a reasonable about of font scaling. Decorative
non-essential bits can have fixed font sizes. Images should be optimized
to allow dial-up access and all should degrade gracefully if pluggins or
scripting is unavailable. Should be readable to text-only, but
contingent on sites purpose, example mine is navigable in Lynx, but
being an art site but without images there is not much incentive for
someone to visit! Political correctness aside, photographs are not much
use to the blind. So what you compromise in your site access and design
must depend on content. I do not believe there is a one-size-fits-all
rule concerning this.

Jose

... and what advantage is there to you, if the web designer decided that
Or vice-versa.

No, not vice-versa. Choosing not to use a feature is not the same as
preventing other people from doing so.

Yes, there are tradeoffs, and since I don't design frames I don't know
what the effort involved at allowing them to resize is. I assumed (like
modal dialog boxes) that it's simple.
Resize? [Yes|No]
If it requires lots of coding, then I see your point.
I thought frames were evil? Sounds like you're promoting them. :)

I had not posted an opinion on frames per se. (As a user I find well
designed frames to be useful for what the web designer will let you do,
but very frustrating if you want to do anything else)

Jose