Customizing the ASP.Net 2.0 Membership Architecture

daokfella

I'm just starting to dive into the new membership stuff and wondering
if it is possible to customize the default membership architecture in
ASP.Net 2.0 to do the following:

Instead of UserName and Password for the login account, I want E-mail
Address and Password as the main login credentials. I'd also like to
store additional info such as Name, Address, Nickname, and Bio. I also
want the e-mail address and nicknames to both be unique.

My site is using SQL 2005 for all other user account functions (stuff
they've uploaded and such). On a user's "home page", I'd like to
retrieve data that belongs to them. Thus, my 2005 tables will need a
key to the logged-in user so I can say "go get the rows entered by
xxx". I'd like to key off the UserId guid. Is this readily accessible
from the logged in user account?

I've gone through most of the basic demos regarding membership I found
on the Net, but nothing really customizes the membership process. Are
there any good resources that will get me on the right track?

Thanks.

Guest

You can pretty much do anything you like with custom Membership, Roles and
Profle provided that you write your own custom providers for each by deriving
from the base classes for each. There's plenty of material on this.
Peter

Kevin Spencer

Any Membership Provider class that derives from the abstract
MembershipProvider class may extend MembershipProvider with as many
additional fields, properties, methods, etc as you like. This is simply a
property of OOP (extensibility/Inheritance). The only requirement is that
the derived class overrides all abstract members of the base class.

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP